• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Speed switching interchangeable cylinders for 1858 Remington.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TANSTAAFL

Cannon
Reaction score
When it comes to fast reloading, I have found with the spare cylinders for my Pietta 1858 Remington, I can switch cylinders a lot faster than I can eject empties and reload my single action cartridge revolvers.

Following example is given only as the way I do it, not as an implied recommendation for others to try or do.

Took very little practice for proficiency. (safety first and watch that muzzle direction) During entire procedure, left side of revolver is always facing upward.

Unlatch and drop the loading lever, pull the cylinder pin out to full stop, with muzzle forward, place left hand beneath frame using web of hand between thumb and forefinger on loading lever to keep rammer clear of cylinder and fingers up on right side of frame to catch empty cylinder. Thumb hammer back less than half cock and cylinder falls free. To replace with a charged cylinder, leaving hammer down, (otherwise too easy for cylinder to fall completely through frame, don't ask how I know) start cylinder in from left side, (again with left hand under frame as stated ) thumb hammer back slightly for clearance and rotate cylinder to align hammer on the uncharged chamber nipple. Lower hammer onto nipple and rotate cylinder slightly to left or right as needed for an audible or felt click of cylinder stop going into battery. (or a sloppy cylinder lockup indicates same) Reinsert cylinder pin, raise loading lever to latch in place and gun is ready to fire.

As always willing to learn, if others have a different method, would be interested as to how you do it.

Yepper thats the way, except I found that on my pistol 1/2 cock works the best for removal and reinsertion. I have a Uberti mellinium and have 4 spare cylinders- I use it for civ war reenacting besides live firing. I load all the cylinders (civ war) on friday night and carry one spare with me at a time. This way I don't have to spend time reloading the whole weekend. At one event we have a farb fest and can get away with anything so then I carry all with me every battle. I end up with a 30 shooter. Of course thats alot to reload that evening but fun to shoot up.

Yepper thats the way, except I found that on my pistol 1/2 cock works the best for removal and reinsertion.

I find that on the Pietta half cock position, the cylinder rotation hand (or pawl) protrudes just enough to interfere with cylinder insertion.

Question:

Is this cylinder switching done with capped cylinders?

Seems like an oopsy could send one or more balls off in unknown directions.

Old Coot

Old Coot said:
Question:

Is this cylinder switching done with capped cylinders?

Seems like an oopsy could send one or more balls off in unknown directions.

Old Coot

I have done both capped and uncapped, just very carefully with either. I started practicing always uncapped until gained proficiency to feel safe with nipples capped.

An oopsy is always a possibility with any firearm under all conditions, as in dropping a capped percussion long gun or pistol (set at halfcock) on the hammer, doubt if the rather flimsy sear could withstand that.

He talking about dropping the capped cylinder on the ground... not the gun.

A woops onto a hard surface cap first could be a bad thing... :shocked2:

Poor Private said:
Yepper thats the way, except I found that on my pistol 1/2 cock works the best for removal and reinsertion.

No it doesn't. You have to twist and wiggle to get it in on half cock. Just ease the hammer back far enough for it to clear and the hand and bolt both will be fully retracted and the cylinder will literally fall in or out from either side.

David Teague said:
He talking about dropping the capped cylinder on the ground... not the gun.

A woops onto a hard surface cap first could be a bad thing... :shocked2:

I am well aware of what he was speaking to. So, what is the difference? If you dropped the cylinder onto a capped nipple, or a capped percussion long gun or "pistol" (in this case, not a revolver) onto the hammer, they could all go off.

It is up to the individual, if feel the need for extra margin of safety or unsure of oneself, don't do it.

Myself, I have never felt the need to wear both suspenders and a belt for fear of my pants falling down.

I know it doesn't necessarily apply for recreational shooting. But I very much doubt when the Remington was used for defense/offence in dire straits, if the user carried a spare cylinder uncapped when his very life may well have depended upon getting the revolver back into action quickly as possible. The choice between switching out a capped cylinder in 5 or 6 seconds, or pausing to cap each nipple after switching would have been an easy decision to make.

I remember reading that Bill Cody (Bison Billy) when he was a scout, buffalo hunter and well into the cartridge era, carried a Remington New Model 1858 with a spare cylinder. I think Remington still has the revolver in their museum or they donated it to the NRA museum.

I have 2 spare cylinders for my Pietta '58 with it's 5.5" barrel & that is generally how I switch between cylinders.

When I decide to keep that revolver loaded for back woods walkin I'll keep 1 cylinder empty & 2 cylinders loaded, Virginia law requires that it be uncapped to be conciddered unloaded in a car so instead when I have it in my truck I'll switch to my empty cylinder, my pouches can be dropped with the cylinders in them & would not go off.

Just ran through the procedure opn my remmy. I can do both hammer pulled part way back and on 1/2 cock. BUT I still would rather do the 1/2 cock. Less of a chance of letting the hammer slip off your thumb and hitting a cap when your loading it, while your excited or being stupid and talking to someone. I can do the change quicker on the 1/2 cock. My thumb can then assist in the change of the cylinders. But everyone has their own way of doin things. As long as it works for you it can't be wrong (unless your pointing it at someone) :nono:

rebel727 said:
Poor Private said:

No it doesn't. You have to twist and wiggle to get it in on half cock. Just ease the hammer back far enough for it to clear and the hand and bolt both will be fully retracted and the cylinder will literally fall in or out from either side.

I have a piece of leather on a string tied to my holster that I keep in near pocket to place under the hammer when necessary to speed load. I let the empty hit the ground aimont it towards my boot.
I carry the cylinder capped for hunting if needed so considerable caution is required to load it but the leather piece keeps the hammer from interfering.
haven't hunted with my '58 Buffalo or my ROA in years but I did take 2 wild/feral hogs. 1 shot (back of head, DRT) from the '58, 2 from the ROA,

I have always wondered why some people eschew the convenience of cartridge arms in favor of more primitive weapons...only to strive to match the convenience of cartridge arms.

We don't get into muzzleloading because it's fast or convenient. It's a step back. Old time gunmen didn't carry spare cylinders...they carried spare pistols!

Of course, the beauty of our sport is that we are free to decide which suits us. However, "speed" is something that by its very nature is fraught with the potential for error.

Regards

Dan

DanChamberlain said:
I have always wondered why some people eschew the convenience of cartridge arms in favor of more primitive weapons...only to strive to match the convenience of cartridge arms.

We don't get into muzzleloading because it's fast or convenient. It's a step back. Old time gunmen didn't carry spare cylinders...they carried spare pistols!

Of course, the beauty of our sport is that we are free to decide which suits us. However, "speed" is something that by its very nature is fraught with the potential for error.

Regards

Dan

Although I do agree with you that using Muzzle Loaders is to take a step back & slow down & enjoy a more leasurely pace, but I do see the usefullness of a quick reload in my preferred side arm.

Agreeably most persons that could afford to or had a use for a side arm mostly only had 1 sidearm or like a few Cavalry soldiers during the War of Northern agression may have had 2 or more at the ready but there were a few Like Buffalo Bill "I believe" had a spare loaded cylinder available for the one revolver that they carried, none the less it is still a correct procedure for the time period.

Just to make something clear, I as well as many others do have modern sidearms "I have 2 M1911A1 .45's" but like many I preferr my smoke wagon over my Slab Sides.

Old time gunmen didn't carry spare cylinders...they carried spare pistols!

So, why did Remington make fitted spare cylinders for the New Model 1858, and why were they used?

Or, why did the cap & ball revolver take precedence as a more practical combat weapon over the single shot pistol? Or do you also think that speed was not a factor there?

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

If you will notice alot of Colts' presentation cases, came with spare cylinders. I have seen pictures of even cased Patersons having spare cylinders. If I take the time to unbury my "picture" book on Colts I could tell you which page and pistol types.

I have noticed that "most" colt presentation cases that I've seen, didn't have spare cylinders. Perhaps "some" did. As for the Patterson, spare cylinders were offered, because the firearm didn't have a loading rammer attached to the under barrel.

Also, while I read many modern accounts attesting to the use of preloaded cylinders, one finds few period references to the practice, if any. Yet, it is a simple thing to see countless photos of Civil War guerillas carrying several pistols and more than one written reference to the practice of carrying up to eight loaded pistols on the person and horse.

If the practice of carrying preloaded cylinders was as widespread as is being suggested, I'd think there would be far more references to it in lore.

I'm not saying not to do it. I'm simply amused that people who gravitate to cap and ball firearms, would strive to match cartridge firearm performance with them.

Hickock used a brace of preloaded pistols. He probably felt that was enough. But hey...if ya need a belt full of preloaded cylinders...go for it.

Dan

DanChamberlain said:
I have noticed that "most" colt presentation cases that I've seen, didn't have spare cylinders. Perhaps "some" did. As for the Patterson, spare cylinders were offered, because the firearm didn't have a loading rammer attached to the under barrel.

Also, while I read many modern accounts attesting to the use of preloaded cylinders, one finds few period references to the practice, if any. Yet, it is a simple thing to see countless photos of Civil War guerillas carrying several pistols and more than one written reference to the practice of carrying up to eight loaded pistols on the person and horse.

If the practice of carrying preloaded cylinders was as widespread as is being suggested, I'd think there would be far more references to it in lore.

I'm not saying not to do it. I'm simply amused that people who gravitate to cap and ball firearms, would strive to match cartridge firearm performance with them.

Hickock used a brace of preloaded pistols. He probably felt that was enough. But hey...if ya need a belt full of preloaded cylinders...go for it.

Dan

Odd, you don't seem amused? Bemused maybe, but not amused.

Tan,

Although I've always wanted a spare cylinder for my '58 Pietta stainless buffalo, I've never tried to order one. I do have a spare set of nipples for it though. Do you know if the stainless cylinder is available, and what say you about "fitting" the spare to the frame? Is it a "drop-in" part? I'm all thumbs, and not a machinist.

Some CAS guys tell me to buy a conversion cylinder instead, and I should send my Uberti '58 (my other '58 with 8" tube)to the place that makes the conversion cylinders for a proper fit. This has led to my in-action up to now. Still others has said that the .45 LC factory loads "wiggle" down the barrel since the rounds are slightly undersized, causing bad accuracy. Don't feel like spending an amount equivilent to the investment in another whole revolver, and still not having a spare for the cartridge cylinder (another $240.00).

Your ability to change-out cylinders is awesome! Seems you and Clint have something in common, besides a quick wit :rotf: Do you have any trouble with BP residue gumming-up the works, so that you need a wooden mallot to assist the center pin coming out (like my gun after 4-5 cylinder's worth) so that you can change the cylinder? Thanks for any help or thoughts :thumbsup:

Dave

Cabela's used to carry spare s/s Pietta '58 cylinders, I ordered one from them for my Pietta 'Buffalo'. I had to do some fitting which I accomplished with 150 grit paper layed atop a pane of glass and being slow&CAREFUL.
you need about 5(min)-10(max)thou clearance cylinder to forceing cone.

Back