• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Identify Stocks?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rogue River

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Can anybody identify these stocks. I picked them up at a yard sale and the seller didn't know anything about them. Thank you in advance. This is the 3rd post and hopefully the 3rd time is a charm and the pic will come up.

stock.jpg

They both kinda look like GPR stocks, the bottom more than the top... its the forward lock bolt hole that wouldn't be correct on a stock GPR. Perhaps they were modified.

Stocks are 30' in length, Barrel inlet is 15/16", butt end is 4"X 1-1/2", lock inlet is 1" X 5" on all three stocks. They all have double lock bolt holes. Thanks

No I don't know what they are but just for the sake of information I measured the RPL locks photos in the TOTW catalog.

The Thompson Center lock measures 7/8 X 4 5/8

The GPR lock measures 1 X 5

This is not to say that the GPR lock would actually fit because there may be some differences in the shape.

I do note that the belly of the butt does have the same sort of 'fish belly' shape that a GPR stock has.

One of the significant traits of the Hawken design is two barrel keys in the forearm. The GPR is a two key stock. Those stocks are single key. They are not from a GPR.

They could be for a Lyman trade rifle. They only have one key in the forestock.

They kinda look like shortened GPR's. Forearm looks short to me. Anybogy else see this? Maybe one barrel key removed?

They look very much like the Investarm Hawken stock. Single key, same lock shape, etc. Can't tell without a little more detail in the pic.

They kinda look like shortened GPR's.

Another vote for that, at least for the bottom stock in the photo. As Zonie noted, the fish belly is another indicator... rounded cheek piece, the buttplate inlet... If they are GPRs, they obviously have been modified. Comparing to a stock GPR photo, it looks like they would have been cutoff about where the forward key slot would be. Obviously you wouldn't be using a stock GPR barrel or under rib.

The wood on the bottom stock does look suspiciously like "european" walnut used on GPRs.

On the other hand, that lock inlet on the bottom stock doesn't look like my GPR machine inlet... and the lock panels are more pointed at the end than GPR lock panels, particularly on the stock in the upper photo.

My guess... I have no idea what the upper stock is... the lower one very well could be a modified cut down GPR stock.

lyman-greatplains-kit.jpg

I don't think they're cut down GPR stocks. When you look at the distance between lock inlet and escutchion inlets, it would have to be much shorter than it is, to eliminate the front escutchion. Looking at the larger pics, I'm thinking they are closer to the Lyman Trade Rifle than anything else I can think of. I'm looking at a pic of it at Lyman's site now.

I originally thought they looked like an Investarm stock, but without a patchbox inlet, they're not Hawken stocks and they look a bit too long to fit the Cabelas sporterized version.

Just box up the one with the inlay and send it to me. After I figure it out, I will let you know what it is...

Rogue River, Bass Pro Shops offered a rifle with that stock, maybe ten years ago or so. It was offered in kit or finished version. The hunters star was inlet into the cheek piece at the factory on both kit and finished rifle. It was offered only in 50 cal. as I recall. Twist was 1:66 initially and later 1:48. 15/16" X 28" chrome lined barrel, short (single bolt) tang, double triggers, brass furniture. It had a diferrent lock and hammer than their Springfield Hawken. It was made by Traditions for Bass Pro. Sorry, but I cannot remember what they called it. Hope this helps.

I have 3 of these and they are identical in every thing. They don't look like they have ever been assembled, there isn't any screw holes for butt plate or nose caps, trigger guard. The screw holes that are there have not been used. They are 1-1/2 inches longer than the CVA hawken. All three have the hunter star in the cheekpiece.

Back