• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Finally Finished

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have been diligently working towards an improved and efficient workspace for the better part of 8 months and have posted various pictures throughout the ordeal.

It started with the addition of heat in the shop in the form of a catalytic propane heater, this was followed up with a pair of openable windows, a free standing bench, a lathe and bench, as well as a dedicated engraving bench.

This undertaking resulted in completely reorganizing my shop, this was accomplished with much shelving additions and several trips to the trash receptacle.

My shop originally was set up in a hurry as a handloading room, it slowly transformed into a r/c buggy workstation and finally morphed into a full on muzzleloading rifle shop, for me anyway.

Here are a few pics ...
IMG_0632.jpg

IMG_0748.jpg

IMG_0746.jpg

IMG_0752.jpg

IMG_0751.jpg

This is the cleanest and most organized my shop will ever be as long as I am working in it.

Got pictures of your workspace ?

Is that a semi-auto, self loading, recoil operated muzzleloader pistol in the picture? Is it H/C or P/C plastic... :hmm:

I'm not sure he knows either, since it appears he needs a stereo microscope and some electronic thingamajigger to analyze it. :hmm:

No plastic in Detonics.

Either way my bad it made it into the pic, but ifn you aint got nuthin constructive to add I'd appreciate it if you moved on.

Maybe Claude could delete that pic as it appeares youz is offended.

Damn you work in less space than i do.
looks like a nice little setup though, just one question what is that thing with the vynil tubes coming out by the microscope like dealy?

GraverMach, GRS tools power assist engraving tools, they have cut the learning curve down by about 5 years or so.

It looks good in there now, before I cleaned things up it was a tad cramped though :rotf:

Thanks For Your Interest.

Just a thought...you might find it worthwhile to buy a small section of the heavy plastic carpet runner or heavy vinyl to set under your lathe. The cleanup will be quicker and save oil soaking your fresh plywood :thumbsup:

Also, you might consider a variety of lights. I think I saw mostly flour. tubes. Sometimes a halogen or incandescent will help show things up...for example checking a background during carving. Different folks see better with various lights or combos of lights...

I rechecked your work area and see varied bulbs near bandsaw, etc. I was thinking more specifically of near the engraving/carving areas as these ops require better light IMHO...

Rick,

Thanks for the tip on the plastic, I'll be getting some soon. :thumbsup:

As far as lighting I do have a couple hood lights that I can move around the shop, and will add more as needed. I have plenty of natural light especially in the morning as my windows are facing East.

Thanks for your interest, and tips.

A very nice neat and clean shop! Do you really do any work in there? My shop didn't look that good when it was new. Your vice looks like the one I got for my birthday last year. Does yours have his newest modification? If so, how do you like it? I was thinking about getting one. I like your supports on either side of your vice also.
Dusty

Well I finally got over the fact that my shop was clean, I went out an got back to work on a rifle that I started earlier this year.

Sure is nice to be able to work on a project without worrying about tripping on something on the floor, or making space on the bench to work on the furniture.

Life is Good. :grin:

ApprenticeBuilder

Not sure how I missed this, I found it searching for “workshops”

I like it, nice shop. I have been thinking about getting a small shop, so seeing yours is motivating. Thanks I need ideas.
More pictures are always nice.

I have a 6” Atlas Lathe that is the same as your Craftsman lathe, great little lathes. A cookie sheet will just fit between it’s legs, tools don’t roll off the bench and so much easier to clean up all the chips.

Tinker2

Nice shop. I really like the stand you have for holding your rifle while working on it. I have been setting a vise on the kitchen table and using my lunch box to support the other end of the rifle. I don't have a shop but maybe someday. Thanks for the pics. Dew

Back