• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

HELP - Early 18th c. French Flintlock Triggerguard Finial

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ncarch

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Greetings all,
If any of you have the time, we’d appreciate your thoughts on the attached photo. This artifact was recovered during recent archaeological work near Fort Neoheroka (Tuscarora War - ca. 1713) in Greene County, North Carolina. It was located in the general vicinity of an allied Cherokee encampment/firing position as shown on a contemporaneous map.

The material is presumably copper alloy, although it doesn’t seem to be typical brass (possibly bronze). The form (acanthus leaf or flaming torch motif; possibly fleur-de-lis, but likely not) is similar to some of the French triggerguard finials that Hamilton [1980] illustrates from Fort Michilimackinac (Type C fusil, e.g., Figures 10k and 11c in his 1976 Michilimackinac report). We're not sure what to make of the hole, though; although the general opinion is that it could be a later modification for use as an ornament by the Cherokees, etc. Hamilton noted triggerguard fragments being utilized as ornaments (Hamilton 1979).

We’d appreciate any thoughts that any of you might have on this, both on age and function and on any more current references that might help with identification.

Thanks, all,
-Jess

First photo is of the artifact (it's upside-down in relation to the finials shown in Hamilton),
Link

Second photo is taken from Hamilton (1980:84) - triggerguard finials,
Link

Additional triggerguard finials may be seen here,
Link

Judgeing from the links posted I would have to venture a guess that it is a "Type C" possibly a replacement for a broken guard that was locally cast. Just my :2 .

First impression..... doesn't strike me as a trigger guard finial, just a gut feeling. Not quite the right shape. I do agree the hole was likely used to hang for ornamentation.

I would agree with Mike, it also seems to be more "open"
than the "C" finials shown in the sources I have looked at, all the ones o have seen show a tighter more cluster like shape, but there are probably a few dozen existing examples out of maybe a hundred thousand guns that were made in the late 17th thru the mid 18th century. maybe Tom and Henry will have somethung to add.

My first thought on seeing it was that it came off a piece of furniture. Like Mike says, it would be more delicate if it was off of a firearm.

Many Klatch

The possibility is good (quite good) that this artifact is not firearms related at all, but as some of you say, from a piece of furniture, or some other domestic ware. It's possible that it's from the 19th c. or later. There are occupied standing homes from the 19th and 20th c. in the general area, and we identified archaeologically the remains of another 19th c. house site even closer to the location of this artifact.

Your thoughts and insights are greatly appreciated. Much thanks to all of you,
-Jess

P.S. In other news, I'm a newbie to all of this, but I am strongly considering joining an 18th c. group and working on an F&I-period central North Carolina militia impression. However, the needs of a young family (5, 3, and 1 y.o.), lack of free time, and tight funds work against me... :(

Any references/sources you all can recommend (I think we've got all of Hamilton's stuff) would be greatly appreciated.

Much thanks!
-Jess

Some more detailed pics would be nice. I have looked and looked at it, and would say not part of a firearm. I could of course be wrong! The small hole in it doesn't make so much sense to part of a firearm.

Would be great to find the rest of it! Keep on digging :)

First of all, the ToTW descriptions are not always accurate. :nono:

Second, what you see in classification systems tends to be either from whatever collection/collections were used for making up the classification, or those that are most typical. :shake:

Now, your artifact:

is not from any furniture style I am aware of.

Could easily be from a triggerguard or buttplate.

Probably had the hole added for use as a adornment. This would imply Native American usage.

My guess is it is English, from a rather heavy cast trigger guard or buttplate. The typical English finial is the acorn type, but they also used the acanthus/bomb/flame/feather whatever motif. One of those ToTW TG's they call French is copied from an English piece. :cursing:

It looks like a piece that broke off of a chandelier or some other cast metal "furniture". :confused:

2885440964_489050da4f.jpg

2884604607_c114909816.jpg

Claude said:
It looks like a piece that broke off of a chandelier or some other cast metal "furniture". :confused:

2885440964_489050da4f.jpg

2884604607_c114909816.jpg

After looking at the last pictures and seeing how thick the casting is I decided that this piece wasn't off of any gun with which I am familiar.So I then got out my three early {Ca.1695, Ca. 1710, and Ca.1730} French guns and realized that my first impression was correct. Early brass and iron mounts are very thin so as to hold the weight down and reduce the labor costs.I then looked at every source I had and nothing rang a bell except for a couple of cast brass seals found at Pentagoet in Acadia.Unless the back surface has some sort of flat design, I doubted its use as a seal.I also saw a portrait of the founder of Fort Pentagoet with two ornate objects suspended from around his neck like a pair of pendants.These resembled the object in question.
" The French at Pentagoet 1635-1674" by Alaric Faulkner and Gretchen Faulkner, PP.16,216,and 256.

Claude suggested the possibility of this piece being from a chandelier or some other like object and the pictures he included would seem to support his theory and that is an intriguing possibility. Whatever it use, I seriously doubt its having been on a gun as an original mount.As stated above, early mounts are vey thin and are inlaid in a very shallow bed. Another possibility is as part of an incense sensor or the head of a ceremonial staff carried in a church procession. I guess I'll just have to keep looking.
Tom Patton

Unfortunately, chandelier hardware of the early 18th century does not resemble the artifact or Claude's hardware catalog. Unless it is from the gallery of a hanging glass lantern. But again, it is rather heavy.

There are some pole heads that have ends that resemble this piece (see English Domestic Brass p. 204 for example), but the casting, IMHO was not meant to be seen on the back side.

Sometimes the level of detail (low, in this case) is a clue to the overall size of the article this bit came from. Some possible sources would be a very large door lock, or a wall bracket. Sometimes, lack of detail implies a humble origin.

The modeling or style is fairly crude, so it was not from a high style piece, whatever its origins.

One thing that comes to mind is pipe tampers. They are usually crude, and also common enough. They are sturdy enough to be used, but could be broken if stepped on, etc.

Having studied ornamental ironwork for over thirty years, ( which by no means makes me an expert),I have seen a great many works of this kind. My opinion on this piece would that it's from a small fence or gate finial and was formed by a swedge ( roughly fashioned--small town blacksmith)style. That being said, dating a piece such as this would be difficult without more information, could be 1810, could be 1910, just depends on where it's been,and for how long. VS

Latest posts

Back