• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

First ever smoothbore (other than modern)

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oldnamvet

40 Cal.
Reaction score
After saving for a year and waiting for 8 weeks after ordering, I got this American fowler in the white (62 cal, queen anne lock, goetz barrel, plain maple stock) from Sitting Fox. ;Now I have to select the exact method for finishing everything. I have a bunch of threads on this saved. I just have to choose what I want it to look like when done.
fowler1.jpg

Fowler4.jpg

Fowler2.jpg

Hey Oldnamvet,

Looks like you got a great smoothbore there! Ray is a excellent person to deal with and a real gentleman. Keep us updated of your progress!

PS I wish I had your courage to do anything with my guns except shoot and clean them. :thumbsup:

Looks great! I sure would like to tackle that one. Post some pics when you finish, I'd love to see it finished! Good luck and enjoy.

Sure looks great to me. I've always heard good things about Ray and Sitting Fox. Good luck on your finish job and let us know how it turns out. Congradulations :thumbsup: .

Wow! Only 8 weeks after ordering? Thats pretty good. Nice gun ya got there.Cant wait to see the finish job. :thumbsup:

Nice. I recommend Laurel Mt. Forge stains to snap out that maple grain. Personally, I'd give deep thought to a "forced patina" look on the iron/steel. It's actually pretty easy to keep an "in the white" muzzleloader looking good provided you rub it down occasionally with a wax or oil.

Nice looking gun, is it a Getz barrel, the oct part looks straight and I thought getz oct to round had tapered oct section?

Another idea is to case harden the iron after getting it all polished up. It will also somethimes give it a grey look to the metal. A plus also on doing that is that makes it harder to rust. I love the fowler guns like yours am hoping to have a Cherry stocked gun made by old army soon.( I hope to drag some one else that way to) post pics when you get them. :thumbsup:

I had decided on LMF stain after getting it ready. Still undecided on the metal. I considered browning it but I think getting some kind of patina on it would be a nice change.

Nice looking but are you sure that's a Getz barrel? When you pull it apart to finish the gun, look for the Getz logo on the bottom flat. I have never seen A Getz like that one.

At my age I get confused :wink: I got estimates on several different barrels and may have actually selected one of the others. I'll check it out and see what logo is on it.

Thank you for posting the pics!!! I was curious about the sitting fox fowler, and had pondered ordering one in the white to finish myself, I just might do that now :thumbsup:

"Nice looking but are you sure that's a Getz barrel? "

That was my thought I am sure it is a good barrel but also pretty sure Getz barrels taper from the breech outnot just from the oct out, anyways it will be a very nice gun when done, I would suggest a patina finish of some type on the metal, I think this could easily be made into a gun from the pre browning era, there are a handfull of ways to give it a touch of patina/age/class that are likely buried somewhere in the past post place..

Nope, not sure of the barrel. I had a number of options and now can't remember which one I took for sure. There is no logo on the barrel so I will have to ask Ray. Then for sure he'll think I'm losing it. :shake:

thewho66 said:
Another idea is to case harden the iron after getting it all polished up. It will also somethimes give it a grey look to the metal. A plus also on doing that is that makes it harder to rust. I love the fowler guns like yours am hoping to have a Cherry stocked gun made by old army soon.( I hope to drag some one else that way to) post pics when you get them. :thumbsup:
That fowler is pretty sweet.After oldarmy builds that LOTM "Killdeer" rifle for me thewho66, I'll start looking at getting that fowler going. :thumbsup:

You have a nice smoothy there. I was wondering how Sitting Fox's quality was... I have read nothing but good things. It is nice to see a picture of an example of his work.

Enjoy your new toy!

I've seen his work at the shows in Lapeer and Kalamazoo. He does good work at reasonable prices, nice lines and quality components. I'll let you know more in a couple weeks. He's just up the road from me about 60 miles. My wife decided she wants to get me a new rifle for my birthday. My Plains Rifle is getting a little heavy for the arthritis in both shoulders, so a nice Poor Boy in .40 with a 13/16 by 36 inch barrel should help.

Rick

If you decide to drive up, make sure you check with him first. His road was all torn up and he said you needed 4wd just to get through.
So far I have gotten the stock sanded and whiskered once. Then I decided I wanted to change so of the carving profile so I started recarving, shaping, and scraping again. Maybe by the time the stain from LMF gets here, I'll actually be ready for it. 5 hours of hand sanding and scraping today so my arthritis is making itself known. :surrender:

Latest posts

Back