• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

CVA Kits - What wood is this???

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wildcardranch

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Just picked up an old CVA mountain pistol kit. Late '70's kit "Made in USA" proudly stamped on the box. Can anyone tell me what wood this is? Is it the same for all the old kits? I put a CVA Hawken pistol kit together a few years ago. What about the rifle kits? Are they the same as well?

Thx in advance,

M-

Most CVA firearms have European beechwood stocks. I recall a number of years ago a friend getting a CVA kit for Christmas. It said made in the U.S.A. but the lock had Spain stamped on the inside. Maybe they meant that the box was made in the U.S.A........ :hmm:

It'll likely be either beech or birch. If it has flecks or rays in the wood, it's beech. If it is dead plain, it is birch.

About the only thing made in the USA on the Mountain Series, both rifles and pistols, was the barrel and that was true only for the early ones. The rest was Spanish. Most of the CVA stocks I have seen are plain jane beech.

They are good shooters. I have a .50 rifle that I have had for about thirty years and it still takes prize money. The pistol is a few years newer and would do well also if I shot a pistol better.

Back