• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

southern mount. rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chuck-ia

45 Cal.
Reaction score
All the pictures I see of southern or Tenn. rifles have set triggers, I am building a southern gun but would like to make a simple single trigger for it, or would this just be wrong? I am at the point of putting the butt plate on next, (when I decide which one) so will have to decide what trigger to use. flinch

I talked with Jerry Noble once about this. There are a couple examples of single triggered guns in his books. His estimation was that 95% or more were double trickered. All of the single trickered southern guns I can recall seeing right now are from the eastern slope of the Appalachians and mostly North Carolina. Doesn't mean there aren't a few from TN, I just don't remember seeing them at the moment.

Good luck with your project.

Sean

Not wrong, just not as common. Personally I prefer a single trigger pinned in the wood. :v

I think Jerry Nobles is 100% correct. I've only seen one that was made west of the Appalachia Mt. range with a single trigger. It was made just north of Nashville in Giles county by Compton. It did not fit the stereotypical TN at all. Flint with 2 bolts, Wedge pins, full patchbox and Single trigger in a trigger plate.
I'm beginning to subscribe to Tom Patton's theory that some things like triggers and patchboxes were imported or made locally by someone that just made parts and then sold them to various Gunsmiths.
Cheers,
Ken

Flinch,

I believe Hershel House made a Southern rifle for the Foxfire 5 book that had a single trigger. As I recall it had no buttplate, had a tallow hole and I think two lock bolts (as Ken mentions). This obviously doesn't guarantee it's "correct", though I think Hershel is known for attempting to be historically accurate.

With this, and Jerry Noble saying there were "some", I'd think you'd be safe in doing it.

Scott

"This obviously doesn't guarantee it's "correct", though I think Hershel is known for attempting to be historically accurate."

He makes some fine guns, I don't know as I would use all of them to keep a historical account of how the originals were made, but they are 100% accurate House school guns.

Somewhere I have a drawing for a late 1700's Southern Mountain rifle that was unusual in that the breech end of the barrel was square for some distance. This rifle didn't have set triggers or a buttplate, but the parts it did have (save for the barrel)appeared to have been made from scrounged parts. I think the plans are still available.

Thanks for the replys, I think I will go ahead with the single trigger, I like simple things, and things I can make. I ordered a gillespie butt plate and trigger guard, allso a drawing from Dennis Glazener today, am I steering away from a southern rifle here? flinch

There is a square breech rifle pictured in Neumann's "Battle Weapons of the American Revolution". It's on page 224.

Flinch,
Gillespie rifles are Southern by just about anyone definition just not TN rifles. Certainly Appalachia Mt. rifles and I've seen several NC Bear guns that were single trigger guns.

Might I suggest getting Dennis's book also.
Ken

Ken,

I think Dennis' book is out of print, at least it was last I checked. You can get it on video though.

TG,

"He makes some fine guns, I don't know as I would use all of them to keep a historical account of how the originals were made, but they are 100% accurate House school guns."

Agreed. In fact many have recently dubbed the House brothers work as "Woodbury school". I was thinking of a couple particular conversations I've had (probably with myself!), I must have had senior-itis and didn't completely think it through.

I would not hesitate to make a single trigger southern gun though.

Scott

Russ T Frizzen said:
There is a square breech rifle pictured in Neumann's "Battle Weapons of the American Revolution". It's on page 224.

That rifle is one that has to the best of my knowlege never been pictured anywhere other than in books or articles by the former owner George C.Neuman.The gun is,I believe, at the Valley Forge National Historic Park.I have never seen the gun up close or handled it but I would suspect that it isn't nearly as early as indicated in "Battle Weapons". As to its origin I don't have a clue although it may be Southern with some English influence.Beyond that I just don't know.
Tom Patton

Scott,
I checked his website and he does have it on CD now. $17.00 You are correct the book is sold out. He told me that at the CLA show and I forgot.

Gillespie CD
The first entry in catalog

Back