• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

My New R&L Lock is Inleted

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gbro

32 Cal.
Reaction score
ToTW is a very fast shipper of their merchandise. I ordered my new lock on Monday night, and had it Wednesday morning. It is now ready to shoot!.
New Lock
I will be spending this next week at the Hunting shack with 6 Grandchildren and each one has a friend along. This Flintlock will be my friend along. The Mrs. is my best friend but the Flintlock doesn't give me dirty looks all the time.
Wish me well this week, Please?

Gregor

Nice Gregor! That sure sounds like fun spendin time with family and a good gun, can't beat that. Good luck to you all. :thumbsup:

What kind of rifle did you pur your RPL on? I put one on my Traditions Hawken. You did a great job fitting it in to the mortice. I had to enlarge my mortice and then fill in the gaps. :shake: Good thing it's just a cheap field rifle.

Got an hour before church to check in here :v

I put her in a Cabelas Hawkins (Investarms).
I got a chance to try her last evening, and there was no way to get spark int the pan. My shooting bud and I worked on it for a couple hrs and had to file away 1/3 of the frizzen spring to get it to snap open, and now it is still stiffer than his L&R lock was out of the box.
The roller on the frizzen spring is much smaller on my lock, not sure why that is.
After all the test firing the frizzen has to be dressed up. It is hacked up pretty bad from the frizzen not opening up.
Will have to work on it more this week.
Time to get ready for the most important part of my week.
Later
Gregor

Have you called L&R yet? I wonder if they would send you another frizzen and spring... Kinda sounds like they may have put the wrong parts together there. All the RPL models are slightly different. Wow, that's frustrating. :cursing: I'd be kicking the walls if I had that sort of trouble.

Back from the shack, everyone is well,4 hornet stings 2 motor bike incidents, only minor blood loss. The worst swimmers itch I have ever had!
Unbelievable weather, 1st night was a lovely 36deg. :)

The rifle took 2 more days to get it to flash with consistency. The frizzen was hardened 2 times and quenched in dirty oil.
After the 1st hardening, it wasn't sparking no matter what flint, M J took the frizzen out of his rifle and put it on my lock and it sparked just fine, that is when he hardened it with Kasternite the 2nd time.
My pan ignition is fast now. There is a definite difference in the speed of the flash when white hot sparks hit the pan than red sparks.
My discharge was still way slow with 80 gr 2F PRB.
When I loaded 30gr 2F PRB for the grandsons to shoot I/we had very good/fast discharge. I am basing this on what I have been accustomed to with the old lock.
We are going to work on the touch hole Saturday.
I did chamfer the back side of it many years ago.
M J said we cam chamfer the outside and bring it down to a knife edge. To me this seems to be going to far. Any opinions on this would be very welcomed.

Gregor

The old touch hole insert is relieved of duty!
a new White Lightning 5/16 X 32 is taking over the task of ignition.
That tap was a hard one to find!(4 machinists and 2 Gun Smiths were asked and then one came forth with the correct tap. Tomorrow is test day, (again)
Also some pic's of the hunting shack activities. http://www.nashwauk.net/Flintlock.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Get her up and running! Sounds like you've got it all figured out. I would still notify L&R that they gave you a soft frizzen. They would probably be embarassed. I called them once to order a sear spring and they sounded like nice folk. I'm sure they'd listen to you.
Thanks for the picks. How's the kid that cut his hand?

What a difference! Its just a all-around different gun now. Its fast and 24 for 25 ignitions(didn't whip the residue after one shot).
I am a happy shooter now!

Little Logan's cut is just fine. It was just a small one from a clam shell or such. It was just the blood that shook him up :wink:
His mother used to pass out when she was cut such as that. Now she is an EMT, and a very good one too :thumbsup:

Gregor

Back