• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Mississippi rifles in civilian hands?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Snellen

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Gentlemen,
There is a picture in the Sweeney Museum of 2 men, One from the California (i.e.California Missouri) Guards and One from the Moniteau Co. Rangers. One man has a Mississippi rifle. The picture is 1860, and the units went into the State Guard and Confederate service.
Here is my question:
Would a civilian have been able to get a Mississippi rifle? It seems to me, that you would have had to be in the militia or some military group.
Any information would be appreciated,
David

There are quite a few pictures of the Mississippi rifle in civilian hands. It was quite a popular arm in its day. They were sold to emigrants by the government, and often show up in period advertisements as well. In addition to Harpers Ferry Arsenal, they were produced by private contractors such as Whitney, Tryon, and Robbins and Lawrence, which may account for the widespread use of them in civilian hands. Check out "Firearms of the American West, 1803 to 1865" for some interesting info on Mississppi rifle use out west.

I would like to get one, but wanted to make sure it was correct for my impression. I let one go for 405.00 a few months back. Stupid. But, money is TIGHT!
David

Schrotflinte,
I tried to "google" that title you mentioned and could not find it. Was that a book or an article in a magazine? I have an interest in these rifles as well.
Thanks,
Paul

It's a book. Search for it on Amazon, it's there. The authors are Louis A. Garavaglia and Charles G. Worman.

Thank you Sir :thumbsup:

I will see if the library has it. Looks like a pretty complete source of info for what we do though.

While you're at it, see if your library also has the sequel, "Firearms in the American West, 1866-1894". It has a few quotes on Mississippi rifle use post-Civil War, in addition to a ton of other interesting info on muzzleloaders and cartridge guns of the period.

Your library can get darned near any book through the Library of Congress inter-library loan program. It's an amazing, but little-known resource.

Few years back we had a drill question come up, and my local library got the LoC to send out an 1850s original Hardee manual. :shocked2:

Yes, I handled it VERY carefully.

Talked to the librarian and there are copies in the system so she'll call me when she gets it in. Looking forward to seeing this book as it should answer a lot of questions...and probably suggest a few more. :hmm:

The US Gov't started selling surplus arms in 1825, and then under a Congretional order in 1848, they increased surplus sales dramatically. This put many different military arms in the hands of citizens.
In at least one of the "guide" books of the period the M1841/42 (FWIW - it wasn't called the "Mississippi" until after it's use by Jeff Davis's troops in the Mexican War 1846-48) was recommended for use by civilians.

Back