• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Gentlemen, How to build a New England style rifle.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bubba45 said:
How much bite does she have being that light.
7# 4 oz. + 58 cal. :hmm:

Nothing with 65 grains. :thumbsup: I am going to bump it up 10 more in the morning.

I figure on probably running 80, 90 gr of 3F through it for a hunting load anyway. Makes no since to me to load 120 gr here for deer. My avg shot is about 40 yard and it's rare to shoot over 75 yards. So no since in beatin the hell out of me. I want to shoot this gun every chance I get at the range too. :thumbsup:

I darn near shot all the way through a deer length wise with 65 grains and a .495 ball. I don't think that ya really need to shoot over the amount you mentioned to do the deed... :haha:

Cool !!!! I agree , no need to use heavy charges except when you are after something heavy boned and can eat a fella :thumbsup:

well i certainly hope the mailman comes to swampys today!!!! swampy will be one happy fella! :wink: an if'n he don't...oh gosh... :shake:

Arrived here safe today. Pictures just do not do it justice! Oh my god this thing is way beyond anything I ever dreamed about! :bow: Thanks so much Roy! :hatsoff:

NERifleProject137.jpg

NERifleProject138.jpg

Take a look at the Welcome Mathewson rifle on GunBroker.com. Actually I think it's probably a fowler. Made down in your neck of the woods.

Last edited by a moderator:
Argh, they called it a Kentucky. Certainly seen better days. I wonder if they "missed" during the restoration...if that gun originally had wedge pin inlays and if the thumb piece is new it's not domed. The wedge pin should be coming in from the left side...

I'm not sure I should say this as I'm not in anyway qualified to do so but I'm not totally convinced that is a Welcome Mathewson gun. I don't know who is saying it is but his and Silas Allen's work are similar and I see more of Silas work in that gun than I do Welcomes. But I could be totally wrong here.

I like it. Can't decide if the stock is walnut or cherry. The barrel looks like a reused musket or fowler barrel, and the rest looks like a New England rifle. The wooden under rib is classic early New England. I have a nice, well seasoned piece of walnut that would make up into this stock and I might try to build a 16 bore fowler along the lines of this gun. Might be a Rhode Island piece, or southeastern Massachusetts.

Well Welcome would be a Rhode Island gunsmith, Silas would be a Massachusetts gunsmith. There wasn't to many miles between them.

I'd like to put together a half stocked cap gun similar to this one someday myself.

So, Swampy, did you shoot her?
Made she Fire& Smoke :hmm:
How does she feel :shocked2:
:grin:

Great pic. :thumbsup:

Man, you have a beauty and she must wait. :shocked2:

Maybe she's looking for another guy, who didn't let her wait.You know:First come, first served. :grin:

:hatsoff:

Latest posts

Back