• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

First horn attempt

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Osprey

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Well I got my first one finished, except for the strap staple of course. Didn't turn out as good as I'd hoped but I learned a lot, know better what to do on the next and have one I won't mind carrying hunting and beating around in the woods. Had a hard time coming up with something to put on it, but this saying sorta fits me. :grin:

MVC-009F-3.jpg

MVC-012F-4.jpg

:hatsoff: Nice job Osprey..................caution horn building is additive; I see you are already talking about " The Next One" :thumbsup:
Soggy

That is nice work, especially for a first attempt.

The contrast between the body and neck is interesting. How did you achieve that?

J.D. said:
That is nice work, especially for a first attempt.

The contrast between the body and neck is interesting. How did you achieve that?

Dyed the neck with boiling water and dye like in the Sibley book, not too hard. I learned I need to work on my scrimming and I need to make longer, full lenth pulls with the scraper - too many little marks that took the ink from short scraper strokes.

Thanks for the thumbs up!

Nice work Osprey! :applause: You did good on that carving. Don't beat yourself over the scraper marks. Last year I was able to examine an original F&I horn. You could still see the scraper marks on that horn.
Scott

Braintan, it's maple of some sort. It may be sugar, but it's a off a chunk of scrap I picked up at a local wood shop last year to practice relief carving on before I built my first gun. It's got a pretty nice bit of striping on it, too. Did a small priming horn at the same time - although I haven't gotten around to scrimming that one yet - with a matching butt on it.

Very good for your first i'm jealous I think if you were to get your hands on some original pcs you would find mistakes. Afterall they had nothing but hand tools to use, no ele buffer

Back