• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

GPR used

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redneckbling

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I guy I work with will sell me his Lyman GPR with doub set triggers and 1 in 60 twist for 325 bucks. When I heard he kept it in a silicone gun sock for 17 years and only fired it 30 shots I told him Id give him 350.00 bucks. He mentioned he had the rear sight moved forward about 4-5 inches because he had difficulty aquiring his sight picture. Do you think this a good buy? Will I miss that sight being moved from original. He said he had it done in a quality gun shop and that they filled the old sight dove tail.

You can get a new one from midsouth for $370 for a percussion and 389 in flint.

The GPR is a pretty good introductory rifle. I have 2 - one in flint and one in percusion.

I would have a good look and see if the new site position is good for you. Also run a tight patch down the barrel to see if there is any rust or loose/bulged areas in the rifling.

If you shop around they arent too much more brand new. I think Midsouth was the cheapest when I last looked into it.

Good Luck

kb

30 shots in 17 years SEEMS like nothing.What is IMPORTANT is how was the barrel cleaned and stored for that period!

I have seen bp guns that were shot twice in 5 years and never cleaned....pretty much junk the barrel.

moving the sight....it just might work for you!
and you might beable to remove the filler and put it back!

like others have said, you can get new for just a few bucks more.

Save the money get a new one.

Now that I think on it, Get the kit and put it togeether yourself.

With one of their kits you pretty much just assemble the parts, there is very little fitting to do.

A little sandng, some Tru-oil and a bottle of liquid blue or LMF browning agent and you are good to go.

I don't understand, he wanted $325 and you told him you would give him $350? Seem backwards to me.

For frame of reference, one of my buds just picked up a used one for $275 along with all the accessories. Coincidentally it had been nicely refinished to brown along with some tasteful stock work. I'd happily pay your $325 for something like he picked up, but for a bare factory gun I'd expect to pay something more like $275.

And previous posters are right. It can be little-fired and clean on the outside while still having a nightmare of a bore. Even at a lower price I'd want to run a cleaning patch through the bore to check on its condition.

Having built a GPR kit myself, I can also endorse that recommendation if you are even a little bit handy. You'll sure get a bigger hoot out of one you built yourself.

Cptleo and Brown Bear are right. If you are so inclined, go with the kit. I have two left feet and all thumbs, but my GPR kit came out beautiful and is a great shooter. This way you will have a rifle that you built, the way you like it for less money. Mid South has both production and kits. Check them out and good luck :thumbsup: .

The reason I was inclined to go 350 instead of 325 is this guy is really good to his guns. I bought a browning auto 5 belgian from him several years ago and still can't believe the condition it was in and the price he gave me on it. I did not want for the sake of 25 bucks to insult the man. I hope to look at it today. If I ordered from "Midsouth" shipping would probably be pretty costly. Something I considered. If the bore is rusty...which I doubt because this guy turned me on to silicon socks and electric dehumidifiers, then of course I'd pass. I know he has built two kits and currently owns 2 other BP guns now. He has gotten older and does not have the health to shoot much these days which is why I believe he is parting with the GPR. I am eager to see how the sight is....if its too short a span I'm gonna have to pass.

the sights...
like I mentioned earlir, usually they had a new dovetail cut, put the existing sights in that and placed a dovetail filler in the empty void.
if thats the case, a simple swap can be done.
I have seen a couple of guns at rondy shoots with as many as 4 of these fillers in them on guns belonging to"seasoned" shooters that have had the guns for many moons so to speak!

...sounds like a lot of "if-ands-and-buts" to messing with... I personally would simply buy a new one for the mere $10-20 bucks difference... ya also get new warrantee, etc...
Good luck, Bob

I gotta pipe back up with one very good reason to go ahead and buy it. If the guy's getting older and you really think a lot of him, when the day comes and he's gone you'll really cherish this gun. I've got one with similar ties myself, and that gun is priceless to me, no matter what price someone else might or might not put on it.

Get the gun and cherish it. Seems kinda reasonable in a sport that's all about tradition, doesn't it?

:wink: Well I bought it for 325 bucks. He threw in a nice silicone storage sleeve. It has a few scratches on the barrell. But the bore is like brand new! Nice and shinny! He did keep it well. I looked at mail order but I can't get one shipped to New Jersey without going through a bunch of riger marole with FFL license dealer and of course the shipping charges added on. I think its a good enough deal. The sight was done very nice with a dove tailed insert placed in the original spot. The post sight has a nice white bead on it which I really like. Lyman has a nice rear sight with full adjustment to it. The stock is oil rubbed and every thing is matte finished. He did put an Uncle mikes sling stud in the stock though. The forward uncle mikes sling is just a clamp on so no harm done there. I'll probably pull the back stud from the stock and put some furniture filler stick in the hole. I am going shootin this Saturday and can't wait to see the grouping with that 1 in 60 twist in comparison to the 1 in 48 in my sons hawken. It was made by Investarms by the way.....guess they been around awhile.....the guns suposed to be about 18 years old. Thank you all for your comments...I'm sure I will treasure this as much as the Browning I bought from him. And it will give my son's a reason to remember my friend when they own it after me. I think i'm gonna be real happy with it!

I agree, I think you made the right choice as well. Not only was it well taken care of, if there were any issues with the lock or what ever, it would have been evident. This is something you don't always get with a mail order gun that is yours, before you get to see it. Like all or at least most people who have a GPR, you will like it. I like my 50 GPR.

Latest posts

Back