• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

solved ignition problem

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fran49829

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a Traditions Frontier 50 cal sidelock and the powder well hole in the breachplug is very small in diameter which may be unique to only my rifle. I was using CCI #11 mag caps.

When I switched from pyrodex to triple seven FFG I still had hangfires. Triple seven FFFG solved the hangfire problem maybe because it is very fine and made it down the small powder well hole.

To me the following makes no sense but may help someone who has a similar problem: I tried Remington #10 caps (they did fit much tighter)and am now able to use triple seven FFG with no ignition problems.

Fran

777 is harder to ignite than Pyrodex. I'd say the only reason you get better ignition is because you switched to 3f which you are right, it gets into the flash channel easier.
I believe #10 caps are mostly for C&B pistols but if they work for you that's great.
Are you able to get real black powder? Using 3f BP I bet ignition would be much faster than with the 777.

HD

after dumping the powder give the breech area a few whacks with the palm of your hand to jar some grains into the drum.

Switch to a "Magnum Spitfire" or a "Hot Shot" nipple, and use real black powder if you can.

Switch to #11, Stainless steel Spitfire Nipple with hollow base and that would fix the problem.
And like the other fellow said, After you dump the charm, Tilt the rifle to the drum side, give it a few stiff smacks to fill drum the powder and then push your projectile down.

I have to disagree with HD on the Triple Se7en being harder to ignight than Pyrodex it has a lower flash point.

That being said FFF Triple Se7en ignights faster than the FF and the pressures remain almost identical in large bore rifles making it a great propellent in rifles like yours if you can't find real BP. I find the FFF to be exellent in most of my percussion sidelocks. Just load down 10-15% from regular (real) black powder loads.

How do you clean your gun? There are those who drybrush, wetbrush, and patch out and usually have ignition problems. Do you use lots of fluid, a jag and a good tight patch to clean the bore and flush the system HYDRAULICALLY with the solvent you use, and then lube with a water displacing bore/flash channel protectant, carefully drying before loading and shooting? Has a lot to do with ignition. Wonky

Pittsburghunter said:
I have to disagree with HD on the Triple Se7en being harder to ignight than Pyrodex it has a lower flash point.

That being said FFF Triple Se7en ignights faster than the FF and the pressures remain almost identical in large bore rifles making it a great propellent in rifles like yours if you can't find real BP. I find the FFF to be exellent in most of my percussion sidelocks. Just load down 10-15% from regular (real) black powder loads.

For sake of being accurate I checked Hogdon's web site and the two powders will ignight between 750-770 degrees not really any difference heat wise I guess I just have better luck with T7.

Thanks for your help. The rifle is 100% reliable with 777 FFG or FFFG when using Remington #10 caps. If I have future problems I will try a spitfire nipple. I agree that to much liquid cleaning between shots can cause problems. After a shooting session I put the breech end of the barrel in a bucket of hot soapy water, using a patch I suck up water through the nipple,remove nipple and clean out screw, run a brush through and then patches. I use a pipecleaner to clean out the drum and then rinse with hot water. Then I dry the bore blow though it to get water out of the breech and run Q tips into the drum to get any water left over. I clean the threads of the nipple and cleanout screw and apply synthetic grease. I then run a patch through the bore coated with Rem Oil (please don't explain to me that this is a no no--maybe it is with black powder--because I have been doing it for years with 777 and pyrodex. If I am not going to use the rifle for months I actually spray Rem Oil into the barrel ( before shooting I clean the barrel and drum with Brakeclean).

Fran

I would also recommend switching out the nipple if it is the original. My Traditions Hawken nipple blew in half-which everyone at my range thought was a fluke. I have since read numerous other posts of Traditions owners having had the same problem. Also their nipples are a little more slender-that's where your #10s came in handy.Switch to the hot shots, they're the best.

Your cleaning and lubing technique appears good. You may wish to dispense with takin that nipple out very often. Cleaning and lubing as you describe will force dissolved crud out of the nipple easily, a couple of dry patches will let you force air through the flash channel and somewhat dry it, then lube the barrel and it will will seep as possible under patch/jag pressure into voids,drum, threads, etc. Last, leave a dry patch between hammer and nipple to catch lube weeping out if you store upright. It does not have to drip to be sufficiently lubed. Dry again before loading to shoot. If you hear air swishing in and out of the nipple under the pressure of the tight dry patch, FIRE WILL PASS freely.******For the best accuracy try to buy your nipples in person by looking closely at the hole diameter in the bottom to select several at a time that appear the same and smallest. You want the smallest hole because it will release less firing pressure and still pass fire to the charge and yet allow for flush cleaning without removal of the nipple. For my CW Enfield best I can find is usually 0.029" or a little smaller in SS and my group changes dramatically as the flashole burns out at 0.039".Think area. Get a wire hair to serve as a burnout gauge regarding the flash hole. I watch practice groups closely for that burnout (loss of pressues) sign. AMPCO/berryllium last the longest, Stainless Steel next longest, and common steel usually the least, besides being grossly too large in hole diameter. Chuck the nipple in a drill and turn the cone with a file or stone if the cap will not fit snugly, and fully down on the cone. You will get better ignition for sure, C & B pistols for sure too. Many know these things, Some do not. It's your shot. LOL WONKY

i have used every substuite know to man and nothing peforms in tradtional muzzel loaders as good as regular old black powder and in all my guns nothing shoots good groups like black powder.

evan9201, you are indeed wiser than so many standing under the bell curve. LOL (4X) Wonky

Back