• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

CVA Hawkin good deal?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Travis Gregory

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a chance to buy a .50cal CVA Hawkin for 100 bucks. It needs a new ramrod and the toe of the stock has a piece 1/2 in deep and 1 1/2 in long missing. The bore seems to be in good shape but it has been loaded for several years. Is this a good deal or is it too much.

Not really. If it has been loaded there is no way of knowing what the bore is like down at the breech. And with a missing ramrod and chipped stock i would say no. I see them on auctions in good shape for around that price occassionally

Myself on the other hand, look at what is there in parts. I would throw a Ben at it, just for kicks! The lock and barrel if ok is 120.00 in parts! You can put any ole dowel rod in there, and use a range rod, and the damage gives it character :thumbsup:

I would look around more. I have 2 TC Hawkens, one a .50 and the other a .54. I paid $70.00 out the door for the .50 and $100.00 out the door for the .54.
Neither have any damage. or even any marks, on them.
Offer him $50.00 if you want it.

Jim

Offer $50, settle for $70. $100 would be OK if you knew the barrel was good, but I wouldn't risk any body parts finding out.

mykeal said:
Offer $50, settle for $70. $100 would be OK if you knew the barrel was good, but I wouldn't risk any body parts finding out.

You gonna scare this Pilgrim to death :grin:

Just be sure to pull that charge, and do not attempt to fire it until you do!

YEA, DO NOT try to shoot that load out. Some moron may have loaded it with smokeless powder. That could be disasterous.

Is it a "Hawken" or a "St.Louis Hawken"? The reason I ask is that CVA made both..........The "Hawken" had a 1 inch diameter chrome lined barrel with a 1/66 inch twist and a walnut stock. The "St.Louis Hawken" has a 15/16ths inch barrel and a 1/48 twist and a birch or beech stock. The Hawken cost much more than the St. Louis Hawken...................Bob

WELL.... you are Not giong to find one on the online auction sites for $100 !!!!
AND...the Fact that most pawn shops are even refusing to take in sidelocks....and chances are you wont find a good one in a pawnshop are few(debatable yes....)
I would say $100 is not a Bad price...If
you can safely pull the load and look down an empty barrel to check the bore....
and you can live the the damage to the stock...
I think I would go for it if the barrel checked out to be OK....
But...I am partial to the CVA'S....
A CVA Mountain rifle was my FIRST muzzleloader
when I was a youngin in 1970.

Besides the MR and SL Hawken, CVA also made a Mountain Hunter model with a shorter barrel and plain furniture (when compared to the Mountain Rifle) in their "Hawken" line.

Good deals in shops may abound IF you live in an area of the country that is big on muzzle loaders, but not so in areas where they are not as popular. So not often found in shops and usually sold on-line sounds about right too with not many shops taking them in on trade anymore.

Would be closer to $30+ to ship one with the new rates. I recently shipped a little CVA Squirrel and a little TC Cherokee, both way lighter weight than a MR or Hawken. Sent one UPS Ground and the other US Priorty Mail, and each was over $25 to ship.

Not sure if it is a Hawkin. It has I believe a 15/16 barrel and 2 wedge pins. The stock isnt really a problem as I already own one in 45cal that the only thing good on it is the stock. The barrel is rusted out and the lock has some broken parts in it and the hammer wont stay cocked. It just seems to be more than I want to pay for this type of gun unless it is a really good deal.

2 wedge pins....CVA...= mountain rifle!need more info! markings on barrel, barrel length, color of nose cap on fore stock...you might havefound a more desirable cva!

That is correct!

The CVA Mountain Rifle was one of their more desired, and higher priced offerings.

I just picked up a made in USA CVA Mountain rifle in .45 stored badly with a mint unfired bore for 175.00. It is a pretty rifle, but heck I will brown the barrel and lock anyway! I dropped the bore light down the bore, and grinned wide! For being stored in a wet basement the bore is a mirror!

This one was exported by CVA to Switzerland by a collector, then brought back to the USA with a collection buy out!

I can tell by the smell, that it came from the same storage basement as the other I bought from the same shop

I will post some pics in the morning. :grin:

You better buy it. The lock cost me 60.00,set triggers were 32.00,the many sided ramrod thimbles can't be bought anymore.I had to buy 150.00 total for all the parts I needed. I got these off CVA before they quit the sidelocks. You can get parts fromm Deercreek.765-525-6181. The barrel might have some rust at powder level if it got damp, but a little work should clean up. This is a Mt rifle as they had the 2 wedge pins. Mine are .45s. Dilly

Back