• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Did barrel channel on vertical mill

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theDuck

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Well I finally got motivated today and tried out the vertical mill for barrell inleting. I thank all who gave advise on my earlier thread. I put the walnut in the vise and leveled it roughly and went at it with a 1/2" 2 flute end mill. It worked ok.
It left a clean cut like it was steel. No splits or splinters. The mill was wound out around 4000 RPM. I held the nozzle of the shop vac by the work and cleaned as I went. I put in a dull 3/8" 4 flute end mill and coud take out a 3/8" deep cut with no problem.
I would definitely make up a bit that is the right size and shape for the barrell instead of doing tool changes . I've been finishing up by hand and still had lots to do. And just like when I'm machining metal I can measure twice, cut once and still take out too much material. :( The channel is .030" oversize.

On a warm and humid day the barrel channel may be .030 too small. Don't get too hung up on being exact with wood, it will move and grow and shrink with the weather. You are probably OK with being slightly oversized.

Many Klatch

Back