• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

fouling not freezing

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

d slocum

36 Cal.
Reaction score
new problem my lubes not freezing my barrel is fouling very bad :redface: in just one spot 2-3" long 8-9" from the muzzle.the rest of the barrel cleand easy this spot was still there after first cleaning and had to be brushed out. the gun is a gpr .54 what would make this happen?

If it clean out after you take the gun indoors and raise the heat over 32 degrees, its obviously caused by too much water in your lube. If not, then you may have a rust spot that is holding onto residue there. I use alcohol on cleaning patches to clean between shots when I am shooting below freezing temperatures. As much as I like my lubes, and some of the cleaning mixtures I have made from water and water soluable oil and detergent and hydrogen Pyroxide, they just won't work below freezing very much. Alcohol will work down to as low a temperature as I am willing to be out in shooting!

drs said:
... freezing ... fouling very bad :redface: in just one spot 2-3" long 8-9" from the muzzle.the rest of the barrel cleand easy this spot was still there after first cleaning and had to be brushed out. the gun is a gpr .54, what would make this happen?
I'd say that's where the powder charge burning and progessing up the barrel is cooling off to the point to where it starts to fall off and cling to the barrel. Some call it the 'combustion deposit area or something like that. In my 42" smoothbore, I get it at a spot about 14" back from the muzzle.

thanks never herd of this, or had it my other guns. does this deposit shred your patches when its there?

i am using a new lube whith water in it,and i wipe between with a wet patch out of my mouth. just never had this problem before. the small spot is what has me stumped. no rust in the bore.

Don't use spit when its colder than 32 degrees. Its just that simple. Use alcohol. I carry it in a little 2 oz. bottle in my possible bag and " lube ' my patches with it, both for cleaning and for wrapping a round ball. There are some oils, like Ballistoil that won't freeze until you get much colder, and they are also worth testing. I hae a bottle of ballistoil but have not tested it yet in freezing temperatures. I am thinking of puttins some patches with it on them in a plastic bag( the stuff does not smell very nice) and then in my freezer to see how it holds up. The freezer is at -10 degrees or slightly colder, as it freezes ice cream fairly well. I figure if its colder than that, I had better worry more about myself freezing than the darn patches! :blah: :rotf:

"Don't use spit when its colder than 32 degrees. Its just that simple. Use alcohol...."
-------------

Now, the creative mind might think paul was suggesting taking a swig of Wild Turkey and sloshing it around in your mouth before using your spit on the patch but that's not what he was really suggesting. :rotf:

Jim is correct: NO drinking alcoholic beverages before or doing a hunt or shooting. Use Isopropyl, or rubbing alcohol, whichever is the cheapest at your grocery store, to dampen cleaning patches. Keep them wet to clean the crud, and don't be afraid to use more than one in cold weather. I do like using a dry lube system, like Dutch Schoultz advocates, on patches, particular in freezing temperatures. That may be where Ballistoil really shines.

I suppose someone could make up a cleaning compound based in alcohol, using a little detergent and a little water soluable oil, but I found that using just rubbing alcohol was all I needed to keep the rifle clean. However, I don't remember every firing more than 10 shots when it was that cold out on a single day. Somebody else is going to have to do the testing to see what works to keep a gun clean and shooting in freezing weather, when there is lots of shooting to do. As long as I cleaned the barrel between shots, and then ran a couple of cleaning patches down every 5 or so shots, the rifle was one shot dirty at most. I certainly have had much more trouble keeping a gun shooting in hot humid weather, than in freezing cold temperatures.

Back