• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Guided Flintlock Squirrel Hunt

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roundball

Cannon
Reaction score
I don't have a good place for a Flintlock squirrel hunt that has a lot of squirrels. Furthermore, even if I did, in Dec/Jan with all the leaves off the trees they see you coming a mile away and it's very hard to get close enough for a good shot with a[url] Flintlock...dogs[/url] are the real deal in those conditions but I don't have any squirrel dogs either. So I got to thinking and based on the fact that people pay for Labor Day dove shoots, quail shoots, pheasants, etc, etc...the thought occurred to me "why not guided squirrel hunts".

So just for the heck of it I put up such a post on a local NC site I frequent, and to my surprise an individual responded...he's retired and his passion is squirrel hunting, has good acreage with squirrels to hunt, 4 good squirrel dogs, offered to take me...says we can meet and do an afternoon hunt from 2:30 till dark (5:30) and I should limit out (8) easily...probably a day in the week before Christmas. It's a 3 hour round trip to where he is but the alternative is I make several closer trips and might get one squirrel on a trip...so if I can make one long trip and in fact get some good shooting it'll be well worth it.

Says he refuses to accept any money but I'll take care of his dogs or something...can't just freeload...taking everything at face value I'm excited about it...plan to use the .62cal with the Full jug choke, and an excellent squirrel load I've already developed and tried:
80grns Goex 3F
1/2" Circle Fly lubed cushion wad
1+5/8oz Copper Plated #4s
Circle Fly OS card

This should be fun...if it turns out like he suggests it will, I'll snap some pics

Last edited by a moderator:
Great fun. And it sound like you may just have found a new friend. Is he a m/l too? If not, be sure to be a good ambassador. Boy, I can't imagine woods without squirrels. I have both grays and reds and they keep my woods noisy and moving . . . darn 'em. I get scolded by red squirrels all day.

I even figured out how to squirrel hunt with Jake. He ignores them, but if I tell him to sit I can walk around a tree and then call to him. The treed squirrel will spin to my side when Jake moves. Chipmunks, on the other hand, will keep his attention for hours. I guess that's the terrier blood. If it's in the earth it's fair game.

Hey, you've got to play them as they're dealt you.

I don't get any sense that he is...figured if the trip materializes and I do my part he should have a good live fire demo...and I'll try to get him to shoot a couple with it as well...be great if he would and nailed a couple squirrels with it.

Right on...and two people can play that same game with squirrels if no dogs are available.
I've even read articles where if squirrel hunting alone to carry 100 feet of parachute cord...if a squirrel trees, tie one end to a bush...then walk to the opposite side of the tree and get quiet, then jerk the cord to shake the bush on the opposite side to move the squirrel into view...dunno if that actually works or not but it seems like it would

I have known people who hunt squirrels with a pocket full of stones. They either throw them, on the other side of the tree, or use a slingshot to send them noisily off a tree on the other side of the host tree. It works.

You will have a BALL!!!! I haven't hunted with a squirrel dog in forever.

Good luck and take some pics
Wess

I havn't hunted with a squirrel dog since I was a kid. Getting 8 squirels shouldn't be a problem with good dogs. They can be hard to spot in the top of a tree hiding from the dogs.

I have fond memories of squak hunting with a dog. I know you will enjoy it! Will be waiting to hear how it went. Good hunting!.

Sounds like a great time and the guy will probably have a bunch of fun too if he has never shot or been around a flintlock.

Another variation on the "opposite side of the tree" trick is to carry a white athletic sock with you, put a baseball (or an apple or orange) in it to add a little weight, then throw it to the other side of the tree. That white shows up real good bouncing through the woods...

Good luck, I'll be looking forward to hearing about your hunt -

Spot

Sounds like fun to me! If I had to choose between squirrel and deer hunting, deer hunting would lose! Course, we can hunt them from Memorial day until Febuary 15th!

Runner said:
Sounds like fun to me! If I had to choose between squirrel and deer hunting, deer hunting would lose! Course, we can hunt them from Memorial day until Febuary 15th!
You guys must be covered up with squirrels in that region with a season like that...sounds great...

Just as FYI...I'm starting to get a little burned out on deer hunting...been at it for a lot of years now and have been lucky to have had some good success...but the novelty is wearing off and I like more action and shooting than I get vs. the amount of time I spend on deer stands...leaning more and more towards different types of hunting with Flintlocks...squirrel hunting is a nice diversion...even the occasion crow hunt is fun...spring turkeys were a real thrill and looking forward to more of that in April.

Guided squirrels hunts...who'd a thunk it !!
:grin:

Older I get the better I like hunting squirrels. I too am a lot less bloodthirsty for deer than I was in my twenties.I recently lost my last Jack Russel to the coyotes or you would be welcome to run the timber here in Missouri with me.I hear a lot of insults from the "only headshots with a .22" crowd, but a fast walk through fall timber with a good dog and a BP scattergun is all the fun a man can ask for.

I don't have a squirrel dog, darn it! Wonder if I could teach the chewwy's to tree squirrels? :hmm:

Roundball, It sounds like your're going to have a good trip , Lot's of luck to you. I remember huntin' squirrels with a dog as a kid it was great fun. Yes shakin' a bush on the other side of the tree will turn the critter for a good shot your hunting partner can do it or you do it with a string. Also the slingshot (flip) will work, it is alot easier if you are hunting alone .We shot flat rocks out of ours rather than round ones the flat one make a buzzin' sound when shot up thru the tree! Good Luck & Good Shootin

Roundball: If the dog is good and you are in squirrels, you will have found a new favorite. I have hunted squirrels with a mountain rifle and a dog all my life. My dog just passed away at 13 and she had well over 1000 shot out to her. Three or so men hunted her at different times during the week so she stayed real sharp. I did all my shooting with a .32 but on occasion someone would show up with a ml shotgun, but the timber might average a little taller in WV than NC and the open choke was not the best performer in these woods. Practice you loading, if you are hunting late Dec, you will often hit the rut and tree mutiples ( have put 6 up the same tree) at the first shot all ..... breaks loose. But if you wants lots and lots of shooting you have found it. I have seen people shoot 30 times on one outing. It is lots harder to hit squirrels riding out of the tree tops with a dog in hot chase and you breathing hard than people think. That is how biathlon was invented! Here in the hills. Good Luck I know you will be looking for your own dog soon !!!!

Sorry to hear about your dog...13 years is a long time to have a companion then lose it.

I was planning to use a .62cal shotgun & shot so I wouldn't be launching lead balls up into the air...it's jug choked full.

Hadn't thought about taking shots at squirrels running through the tree tops...figured they'd just be treed and trying to hide on a limb, crotch of the tree, etc.

Maybe one choked halfway between Imp. Cyl. & Modified would be better.

Roundball::Most of the time a sqirrel will hug the tree,even more true if it is a grey. Fox squirrels will bail out and head for the hole when more often. If you are good with a little squirrel rifle resting against a tree you can about hit the head all the time. Quite often the squirrel will stay put until you arrive on the scene then bail to the next tree and so on, a good dog will follow him by sight right on thru the woods. If you look where the dog is looking you can see the squirrel. Of course you cant shoot with a rifle until he stops and shooting at them on the move with a shotgun is the most exciting, I would recomend the fullest choke because a little range will make you much deadlier. But even so I am a rifle man and never used a scatter gun myself although I have watched a legion in use. Plus you dont have to worry about busting a tooth on shot at supper. A .32rb with 18 gr fff is hard on a squirrel head! If you have any doubt about far and away the best way to pull hide off and not get a hair on the carcass let me know and I'll make a pro out of you. Good luck John

Carper said:
I would recomend the fullest choke because a little range will make you much deadlier.

Thanks for the info...this barrel & load combo averages 6 copper plated #4s through a coke can at 30yds, 2-3 at 40yds...should get it done OK.

I'd like to try the .40cal flinter too but first time going to a strange place I think the smoothbore is the best bet...plus, if I can get the owner to try a couple of first time shots with a flintlock, the smoothbore might be a little more forgiving

Back