• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

TC Kit Gun Shop Find?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brik847

40 Cal.
Reaction score
.50 TC built from a kit for 145.00 -- not too pretty but seems like a good price. No cracks I can see in the stock. Double triggers work, took barrel out and put it back in, rifling looks good, bore light shows a little discoloration but grooves look decent. Typical TC sights. What do you think?

I figure I can refinish it if I want. I figure I can get a new barrel if necessary (GM would fit in a kit stock don't you think?) Could replace the stock if necessary (this barrel would fit in a new stock if I found one wouldn't it?)

Please let me know what else I should consider in evaluating this gun. What would you do.

Sounds like a great price to me.

Get a brass cleaning jag and a lightly oiled cleaning patch and run it down the barrel. If it takes about the same pressure to shove it all the way to the bottom the barrel is IMO good.
If it gets to a place where it gets much easier to push and then goes back to the same pressure to push it as it had before, the barrel is ringed and the gun will not shoot accurately.
If the barrel passes this test and you want a .50 caliber rifle I say go for it.

Yeah - I was just thinking through this and remembered to run a rod down the barrel.

I say go for it if it passes the above test. Sounds like a great deal!

Jerem

Now that I've decided I can buy it, I just sit on it for awhile to double-think my decision. It is a .50 and I was really after a .54, so that slows me down some.

Just one last question. The barrel -- can the finish be removed and re-done? Whoever built it used that plum rust antique marble-y looking stuff (what's that called?) and didn't do a very good job. How do you get that stuff off?

brik-

there are anny one of a number of plum brown finishes on the market, most of which will work well if instructions are properly followed. for the chemisty involved, i would follow Zonie or Paukval..'s advice.

as regards the price, go for it- a new lock alone will set you back nearly that much!

also, if you're interested in a .54 calibre barrel, i think that Green Mountain has them, but you'll drop more on the barrel than you did on the rifle. in either case, buy the gun.

Birchwood Casey Blue and Rust Remover will take the finish right off. Then you can re-blue or brown it with whatever you like.

Thanks, still considering it seriously. If I know I can refinish the barrel I will be happy.

Back