• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

A plethora of knives....

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tis that season.... :thumbsup:
plethora-of-knives.jpg

Got burned out doing leatherwork so I switched gears - of course now they all need sheaths.... :wink:
hope ya'll enjoy the look see

Nice work Senor. Is that oak on #3 & #5? I like that first dagger.

You gotta stop being so darned lazy and get those sheaths done. :wink: Orders directly from an invalid... Hee, hee. Remind me to tell you this story when I get healed up. Its a doozy.

Looking forward to seeing the next step as always.

Sean

Is that oak on #3 & #5? I like that first dagger.
It's Osage Orange finished with AF and my own violin varnish - I REALLY like the way they came out and I love the way that bird's head grip on #3 feels.
That dagger reminds of that description of Kirker...the mesquite handle is not as fancy grained as some I've seen but I finished it up with violin varnish and let it "tan" in the sun for a few days and it is real purty - then again I'm a sucker for reddish brown wood.

Sounds like that is getting better? Maybe talk this week end?

Gray Wolf-
Over the top in every respect.......great photo too; Salute! :thumbsup:
How do I get on your christmas list?

Longshot

WOW ! :hatsoff:
not what I was expecting to see when I clicked on the topic! IT WAS MORE!

not a knife there a guy wouldnt be proud to carry!

put me on your christmas list too!!! Ive been real good this year.

NICE!

Osage woulda been the second guess, but the pic came out a little on the gray side. Osage is a nice wood for that, but you may want to make the sheath for those such that it doesn't cover any of the haft. Its light sensitive and will eventually darken to a chocolate brown where exposed to light whereas the stuff inside the sheath will stay bright yellow. Your old buddy Clorox bleach makes a nice stain on Osage.

I'll give you a holler. Having a bout with an antibiotic resistant bug. Most painful damned thing I've ever been thru, but this morning I seem to be responding to the new drug cocktail a bit. Still feel like a gorilla had his way with my head.

Sean

Number two really trips my triggers. (Sagundai)?
Thay are all real nice looking blades, Gray Wolf. Thanks fer sharing the eye candy.

I can hardly wait to see the great sheaths he will make for these beauties! :thumbsup:

Davy

Imna have to look at this section more often. Them is some real nice toad stabbers :thumbsup: . I too shall look fwd to seeing the leather.

Dinna ken you was poorly Sean, GWS.

Glad ya'll enjoyed the look see...

May I ask what kind of critter that skull came from???
That's a pair of coyote jawbones - I trimmed away the big flared ends, fitted the tang in between the bones, pinned it together and then filled in with pewter before adding the rawhide wrap......

As far as being on my Christmas list - heck wish I was too :hatsoff:

Boy Chuck, Gib made some nice blades didn't he?? You definately did a nice job (as usual :wink: )...Bud

Now those knives look really good you could be proud to own and not afraid to use. I have a ques. I have a friend that just retired ,he plays Mandolin and Fiddle and is learning to restore older units not antiques I would like to know what violin varnish you used if its not a secret ,he is having trouble finding something he likes.

Nope - just been too busy to spend much time here -

Start by reading the following links. They will give the basics - also do a search for "violin varnish" in Google, etc. - there is plenty of other info on the history and making of your own "period" varnish out there:[url] http://www.muzzleblasts.com/archives/vol5no2/articles/mbo52-1.html[/url]

and this...[url] http://www.muzzleloadingforum...d/189610/post/224718/hl//fromsearch/1/#224718[/url]

I will add more info when I get the chance to - probably a new post in the craftsman section, including an easy no mess mix that works about as well as the full-blown home made stuff...

oh yeah - I'm working on the sheaths - had a bout of flu and along with the holidays things got slowed way down, the folks getting them know I can be a slow poke... :wink:

Last edited by a moderator:
Back