• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lyman cleaning-never a white patch

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jtmattison

70 Cal.
Reaction score
Now first off this is in no way a thread to trash Lyman. I own several Lyman muzzleloaders. In fact I have at least one of everything they offer. I love them.
One thing I noticed after getting my first T/C with a GM barrel on it was with my usual cleaning routine (which is anal by anyones standards) I end up with a spotless barrel that shows pure white patches from the GM barrel.
All of my Lyman barrels continue to produce gray colored patches no matter how hard I try to clean the barrel.
Is it because of the steel the barrels are made of?
I've always cleaned the daylights out of my Lyman's and checked the bores with bore lights. No matter what, the patch is gray.
:confused:

HD

i have a .32cal Dixie Mountain rifle that does the same thing also,i could run two dozen patches and they still come out greyish brown.

Yeah, now that you mention it, I too rarely get a bright white cleaning patch. I do use Birchwood-Casey's Barricade (formerly Sheath) as my rust preventitive when I'm done cleaning. Those patches come out of the bore the same oily beige color as they went in, so I'm thinking that everything's O-K with the cleaning job!

Dave

Same here, I rub and I scrub and still I can't get a clean patch. I have tried all sorts of products but it seems none do any better than hot water with a drop of Dawn.

Interesting and here I thought it was because I'm so new at all this. My final swabs come out grey as well. Anybody contact Lyman?

Mike

Are all these Lyman Rifles made by Invest Arms? I have an Invest Arms Hawken made for Charles Daly. My bore looks like it is chrome lined or something. My patches always come out clean. Are those bores blued or what? The only thing I can think of is the steel is porus, and holds rust/fowling. I really don't know how to solve this problem. I don't get stumped very often, But I am this time. Try CLP...yes Army CLP after cleaning. The next day try it again. I remember my M16A2 would cough up more crud the next day. Best I can do for now. Sorry guys :hmm:

I have two fowlers with Getz barrels and have yet to get a completely clean patch from them no matter how much I rub and scrub.

Greetings to my Irish friend. I intend to visit your country...land of my ancestors...and would love to shoot some black powder with you. We'll be in touch in the near future. :hatsoff:

I've never worried about white patches. When the patches stop coming out black and get to a consistent gray, I oil the barrel and put it away. Never thought about it. Several of my barrels are from Getz, several are from other sources. Even my Pedersoli Bess does the same thing.

Interesting question.

Many Klatch

Old Sarge, give me a shout when you get to this side of the pond. I'd love to meet up with another muzzleloader :thumbsup:

Ive got tc, cva, gren mt and a traditions barrel all said and done. the gm is the easiest to clean and comes out with clean patches. the traditions barrel is on a Wm parker handgun, I swear it must be chromed or something. I can shot it 20 times,wipe it out with a few patches andwhen I put it in the sink, not much comes out!
I wash with warm water, sometimes a little murphy's in it, andthey all get scrubbed with a patch over a bronze bruch, then pumped with a patch and jag. I wipethem out, run an alcohol patch and spray in a little wd-40, followed by a patch with same. as of late, I run a wd40 patch up and down probably one a wek, just because.(I fondle them often) this has kept my colored patches to a minimum,.

Old Sarge said:
Are all these Lyman Rifles made by Invest Arms? I have an Invest Arms Hawken made for Charles Daly. My bore looks like it is chrome lined or something.

Some of the Investarm rifles have chrome bores. Iirc, the Hunter versions (rubber recoil pad) are the ones that did.

I have developed a convient cleaning method to avoided worrying about this problem. I use tow to clean the bore. Seems to work quite well and I just quit cleaning when the tow looks like it did when I first started to clean the rifle.

Mine is the same way, but I stopped worrying about it. Posts on other threads indicate that it is residual carbon and that won't hurt the barrel.
Scott

Try cleaning your jag & rod off now and then so the crud on it does not carry over to the clean patch.

bpb said:
Try cleaning your jag & rod off now and then so the crud on it does not carry over to the clean patch.
Good thought but I used the same jag for both barrels. The jag is clean from the hot soapy water treatment.
I know my barrel is clean. The patches just don't back it up.

HD

Back