• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Oregon hunting rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rbfree

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I need another rifle for my son for next years hunt and I want to get it now so we have a long time to practice. which rifle would you recommend for deer and elk? and which load?

I currently own a 58 cal interarms Hawkin from Cabelas that ive had for twenty years and have taken a few animals with over the years. and My son wants that gun in the worst way so I'll probabley pass it on down as he's 16 now and can handle that big boy. So now I need a rifle. It has to be a traditional precussion. by choice and Law. Thanks Stump

If it were me, I think I would do 1 of 3 different choices.....
1 and 2..... purchase a Lyman GPR or TC Hawken in .54 and also order a green mountain IBR barrel in .58 (you get the 1" barrelchannel with these guns)
3. hold out and find an old cva "big bore .58 mountain rifle.

I would opt for the .58 since you already have one and the possibles to go with it.

brett sr said:
If it were me, I think I would do 1 of 3 different choices.....
1 and 2..... purchase a Lyman GPR or TC Hawken in .54 and also order a green mountain IBR barrel in .58 (you get the 1" barrelchannel with these guns)
3. hold out and find an old cva "big bore .58 mountain rifle.

I would opt for the .58 since you already have one and the possibles to go with it.

I believe the GPR's have a 15/16" barrel and are not available in .58 caliber.
Idaho PRB

Here ya go. Might as well up grade while you're at it.
[url] http://www.donstith.com/muzzle_loading_rifles.html[/url]

Or this English sporting rifle;[url] http://www.flintlocks.com/[/url]

I suggest buying at least one bore size larger than the minimum legal caliber for whatever you are hunting. Bigger is always better. :v

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice but im thinking A flint lock aint got a chance in the rain around this place. LOL Im looking for a good 100 yard gun that'll drop an elk. The other thing im thinking is it needs quality adjustable sites. also Im not sure what I should buy for barrel twist? Im far from an expert . heck I ddint even know they had differnt barrels for round balls till today. Im behind the curve. let the fun begin

I just looked at track of the wolf, they are taking orders for 1 inchx 32 .58 drop in for the TC hawkin,1 in 70 twist.this would bea roundball supreme barrel,and the whumpability factor on our size elk should be more than ample. The tc would be a capper.
I put a .40 on mine and the gm barrel is excellent in fit and workmanship,and comes with adequet adjustable sights

:v Does it really rain here? :rotf: The English Sporting Rifle also can be had in percussion. They do handle nicely and have a wide butt-plate to reduce the "FELT"recoil. There are numerous Oregon legal sights that are adjustable. I'd go for a 58 since you already have the possibles, but if you want more wumpf then a .62 or .66 would be a great way to go. A .58 Mini or solid base slug is Oregon legal( < than 2 calibers in length), and will shoot through an elk from any angle. :v What a problem, your son wants your old gun and you get a new one and still have a hunting partner. :v

MercerLake said:
:v What a problem, your son wants your old gun and you get a new one and still have a hunting partner. :v
Yea I can think of a few worse problems to have HEHEHE :hmm: :applause:

Stump: You could go with a Lyman GPR caplock in .54 round ball twist (1:66), then add the interchangeable GPR Hunter barrel with a faster 1:32 conical twist if you feel the round ball is not up to the job of killing an elk at 100 yards. It is, but some folks prefer the added weight, penetration and oomph of a conical for elk, especially in Oregon's dark and brushy coastal forests. You can get the additional barrel for just over $100.

Well, just to throw out some alternatives... If you might still consider a .58, how about a Zouave, or an Enfield rifle (P.58 or P.60 "2-band", not the P.53 "3-band" rifle-musket) or musketoon?

Joel

Thanks Bill I just may do thay as 58 stuff is getting to hard to find

It's a shame the .58 bores are not more readily available. I shoot a .54 myself but had a .58 a few years back and really liked the extra oomph. My next project (If the present one ever gets done) is a Va rifle flint in .54 but once that's done maybe the next will be a .58 plains rifle with a tapered barrel. (like I need it :) )

One solution is to watch the gun shows and auction sites for a TC renegage or Hawkin (make sure the hawkin is a 1" barrel size) and then add a .58 drop in barrel

stump.58 said:
Thanks Bill I just may do thay as 58 stuff is getting to hard to find

The good thing about the .58 is that you can do roundballs and still have what you need at 100yds to take down just about anything. You can invest in a mold to cast your own balls and keep yourself in buisness for a long time. I was able to find an old DGW mold on E-Flea pretty cheap a couple of years ago.

You will find the LGP a fine gun and the .54 will take Elk, 100 yds is really pushing the limit on open sight/rb I would set your goal at 75 I have hunted for quite a few years on the westside with a flinter and not had any trouble, there are some days the you will only get off one shot so make it count, if you realy want to go traditional try thr fixed sight and stay with the RB...and get a bit closer, all part of the experience.

Stump,
I'll chime in even though others have said the same...the Lyman GPR in .54.
Scott

I got the GPR hunter 1:32 twist In 54.hope that twist will through a round ball ? Anybody? Not sure I may have to get another barrel.

If the gun has a 1:32 twist it really is a Great Plains Hunter (GPH) rather than a Great Plains Rifle (GPR) and I wouldn't mention it except that some other people who may be wanting to buy the GPR should learn that when the salesman says, "I've got a nice Great Plains Hunter here I'll let you have for a arm and a leg..." they will know what he's selling.
zonie

Back