• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

best REAL bullet 4a Plains Pistol

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buttonbuck

50 Cal.
Reaction score
I have read some responses people have posted on shooting cast REAL bullets From LEE Moulds for their plains pistols in 54 caliber LEE offers them in 300 grain and 380 grain I was wondering which one people have found shoots best out of this gun. I also wanted to just have one mould and shoot a renegade in 54 cal, hope to find out what people have found shoots good out of a TC renegade as well. thanks.

Although I don't know which one will shoot best in your pistol, I do have some advice to give to folks who want to load one of these bullets into their gun.

Because these bullets are a loose fit in the bore to aid in loading, and a pistol is often carried with the muzzle pointing down the bullet can easily become dislodged from it's position on the powder.
In fact, it may fall completely out of the gun if the gun is carried for long periods of time.

A patched roundball is a tight fit and is held in place by the patch so this problem isn't as likely to occur (although it is a good idea to check it periodically).

If you load a loose bullet into your single shot pistol I would suggest that you put a stiff, tight fitting overwad over the top of it and check it often.

from the claims of Lee they are engraved by the rifling of the gun barrel, wouldn't they stay fairly tight? I hunt from a stand so the guns are kept barrel up or at a straight angle until I aim downward at a deer. I will say agian this is a great fourm to exchange info. I do not have time to participate in a muzzleloader club at this time with 3 kids and all of lifes other activities most of my saturdays are booked. I still try to be involved in the pursuit of the challenge of muzzleloading and the fun part of trying new things to keep it interresting. When my two younger kids are older hope tohave the family out to shoot at clubs. The nearest one is about 25 miles away.

IMO it will stay fairly tight however any sharp jar can make it come loose.

Because lead is very ductile when it is deformed it shows no desire to return to its original shape.
That means it will not "push back" against the rifling after it is forced into place so unless it is sitting in a badly fouled bore (which no one would want) it has nothing to really keep it in place.
Also, because lead is heavy if the gun is jarred in a rearward direction, (like the muzzle hits something hard) the slug will not want to move with the barrel thus, it will lift off of the powder charge.
zonie :)

the fit will depend on the actual bore diameter, I have a .50 REAL mould (actually a .45 also, I use them in my ROA - real accurate slug) the slug is a tight fit in the bore requiring a sharp whack with the short starter to get the top driving band into the muzzle and pressure on ramrod to seat. I've had good luck with them so far, but this is in my rifles, I have a.50 Hawkin-style pistol but haven't had time to try them in it. what a 'wallop' they produce. this is my first experience with slugs in my BP rifles.

Could someone post a pic of one of those REAL bullets.I have never seen one. I would be interested in how they shot out of my ROA. Mine is a fixed sight model. Blizzard, do they shoot to point of aim, or high? What is your load recipe.I had pretty lousy results with buffalo bullets.

I'll try to post a pic of the REAL slugs I shoot in my ROA this week, they shoot close to POA but even tighter group than the RB's. I like them but a little hard to load have to fiidle with 'em a bit.

not quite as much as the Lee conicals, but they seem to shoot better (tighter groups) - why I have no idea. be sure to use as pure lead as you can get for loading ease. so far I have shot around 50 of them in my ROA, looks promising. I use a felt overpowder 'disc'.

If i leave out the wad, which i don't need with a well lubed bullet, i can still get about 40 grs of Pyrodex P in with the Real Bullets in my '58 Remmy.

so how do you make a simple Jig to center where you would drill out lead to make a hollow point? looking forward to the images. I found on "cheapshotstore.com" they offer a bag of 50 380 grain REAL bullets for 5.99 hope to order some more stuff and do a parcel post shipping but they are on EBAY so we will see. anxious to try them out of my .54 plains pistol and renegade.

My Ruger likes Pyrodex Rs loaded right up to the brim and compressed with a round ball. It isn't the most accurate load out of it, but it certainly is powerful. It seems to be the best compromise load between power and accuracy. I am interested in Real slugs as an alternative.

I'm betting that slowpoker549 is writing about a Ruger Old Army when he said he loads Pyrodex RS right up to the brim and is asking about Real slugs.

I don't think I would load a Plains Pistol "right up to the brim" though. :grin:
zonie

max load is 50 grains of 3f in a plains pistol according to Lyman. they also say it is a roundball only gun becasuse of accuracy. I would experiment with accuracy but not saftey.

My ROA loads the REAL .45 slug well, and shoots good w/it. my .58 Rem I have to use a loading stand to press them down, again they shoot real good. I use a dry felt overpowder and lube the slugs.

Back