• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

In the white (almost)!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bioprof

62 Cal.
Reaction score
I worked on my matchlock scratch build today off and on because of the heat (close to 90 degrees - we have had snow earlier than this). I managed to get the butt and lower forestock shaped, but still have to clean up some lines and do some scraping. I've had to guess on some of details of the architechure because I haven't seen very many good views of the underside or top. The bottom of the stock under the lock area and butt is completely flat. I don't know if I screwed up or not. I also bent the tang down too far, so it has kind of a hump back. I think I'll call it Quasimodo. I plan on doing some incised lines like the matchlock that I am copying this one from. What do you think so far?
matchlockinthewhite2.jpg

Looks great. Can't wait to see it finished. How are you going to stain the stock and finish the metal?

HD

way cool. i'd probably succumb to common sense and rust blue the metal, but the wood wouldn't get too dark.

in any event- a really neat looking piece. where do you get the matches?

:hatsoff: :hatsoff:

Thats Looks Good!!!! :thumbsup:

Are you using plans or are you just doing it from seeing others??

RetiredMedic said:
:hatsoff: :hatsoff:

Thats Looks Good!!!! :thumbsup:

Are you using plans or are you just doing it from seeing others??

I was trying to copy the second one from the top on the right-hand row:
[url] http://raabs.homepage.t-online.de/inhalt.htm[/url]

The match cord is just 1/4" hemp twine that I found in the craft section at Walmart. I plan on soaking it in saltpeter in the near future.

Last edited by a moderator:
You might be able to file down the tang and stock together to work the hump out.

I added some incised lines around the butt and along the top of the forestock. I think it really sets off the lines of the stock:

matchlockincisedlines.jpg

That I like! You did a fine job of adorning the stock with great lines- I really like that thumb notch- while allowing the large angles you cut the stock shape to be the primary focus of the eye. Great choice of artistry, and those border lines really make the stock's shape stand out. Id the other side of the stock the same? How about the forestock? I can't wait to see your pictures of the whole thing.

When I have seen these European style match locks in museums, the stocks have been almost black with aged varnish, so you can't see the wood, or determine what the wood is, or if it has any grain. Your stock began without any indication of remarkable grain, so you have used design angles to please both the shoulder and cheek( functional art) and the eye. Kudos to you. :thumbsup:

I wish that I could take credit for the design, but I can't. It is based on a picture (presumably from an original) on another website. I assumed the pictures were of original matchlocks, but I don't really know enough German to tell. :surrender:

bioprof said:
I wish that I could take credit for the design, but I can't. It is based on a picture (presumably from an original) on another website. I assumed the pictures were of original matchlocks, but I don't really know enough German to tell. :surrender:
From which German website?
Btw, it looks great. :bow:

:hatsoff:

bioprof said:

Firearms and Equipment from late Renaissance to Thirty Years War,
Link1
and your Matchlock Caliver
Link

undertaker said:
From which German website?
Btw, it looks great. :bow:

I was trying to copy the 2nd matchlock down in the right-hand column of this website:
[url] http://raabs.homepage.t-online.de/inhalt.htm[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:
Back