• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

What to do with a beat up Bess?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

laffingman67

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I traded a wedge tent, that I purchased for $150, this weekend for a Pedersoli Brown Bess. This thing has definately seen better days. The main spring is broken, the stock is in general disaray, the side plate was evidently lost somewhere along the way and replaced with a brass cutout that fits horribly into the existing inlet. This thing was in a lodge that caught fire (that's why the guy needed a tent) and has a scorched forestock, not burned badly at all, just scorched the finish. The barrel still appears to be straight and sound, but no longer "amoury bright". I got this gun with the intention of using it for re-enactment purposes. My character is a militia ranger during the F&I. Should I just replace the spring and just go at it. Like maybe I just replaced my old barn gun/fowler with a more reliable battlefield find or do you all think I should totally redo the gun. Fix the stock, replace the side plate, brighten everything up. I'm thinking that if I redo the gun I may stamp some rack numbers in it as an issued weapon. And if I leave it as is I may add a few saber or tomahawk slashes to the stock. :bull: What do ya think?

All the parts are available from Pedersoli, as for the rest I would clean it up and give it a good oiling. The stock if plastered in the normal 2 part polyurathane lacquer I would strip it and darken the wood with a vinager and iron stain followed by a good oiling. The barrel I would leave brown, in the later years of the Bess in military use the barrels were left brown. I would not take any damage off the gun as its part of its history. I've done 4 of them now and they realy look the part on duty.

I would replace the spring and the side plate and leave the rest pretty much as is. Being a 42" barrel would be perfect for an F&I ranger as they were known to have cut down the barrels on their bess's which were originally 46". You could even "jappan" the whole thing with a can of flat black spray paint. The possibilities are endless. . . :thumbsup:

The parts are available from VTI gun parts and they are great folks to deal with. Once you've got it working again, why not just clean it up and use it? A little patina is always nice, especially if you re-enact.

I'm with Russ-t, how is the bore ? mite check the breech plug ?pull the lock and check for russ-T-springs! :shocked2:

Good score I think...150$$ for a bess...not bad at all!!
A side plate and main spring MIGHT cost you the princely sum of 15$$

If you dont want it , Ill take it..

:wink:

Cheers

Rob

Is a convex sideplate available that drops into the Pedersoli inlet with little or no wood removal? I recall reading about a "defarb" kit that was available for the Pedersoli. A convex sideplate and a wood rammer conversion would be something to consider if the gun is going to be disassembled, refinished, and mustering in with an F&I unit. That being said, I have no problem with the large number of Pedersoli 2nd models carried at F&I events as is. The stock is walnut and they are nice to carry at about 9 lbs.

Thanks guys for your responses. The bore and the rest of the steel is in very good shape. I think I may set it back a few years with the wood rammer and the earlier furniture. Good ideas guys! :thumbsup:

I would order the parts; do a minimal rehab of the wood and polish the barrel and other metal parts as well as possible. Browned barrels came much later.

You got yourself a reenactor deal!

CS

Thought I'd add the point that the Pedersoli Bess is a first type New Pattern, Short Land version. To make it a Long Land pattern cut back you'll have to also re-do the lock's length and curvature, add an earlier butt plate and triggerguard, etc. If your group isn't too picky about these things, you can go with what you got.

Back