• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Hi everyone i'm from the UK

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave1

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi my names Dave and i come from the UK.I have been interested in shooting muzzleloading rifles since i had a go at my local gun club.Been hooked since. :) .Can't remember what rifles they were.But some of them were original 18th and 19th century muskets.

I don't currently own any yet.I'm interested in the historical side to the sport.Particularly the 95th rifles.Which was armed with the Baker rifle.And thats the rifle i want to get is a Baker rifle.Love the history behind it and the character of the men.Who would rather die 10 deaths!Than retreat!

Dave,
Welcome to the MLF,great having another Brit
in the croud.Although you can find about all
the tecnical help you need here at the MLF,there
are more than a few of your countrymen here that
might give you some direction in England.Check the forums and you will find them. Visit often
and contribute when you can. A good question is
a contribution.
I am snake-eyes:hatsoff:

A big welcome from the other side of the Northsea,Dave1 :wink:
95th Rifles? Ever saw Sharpe's Rifles with Sean Bean?
:hatsoff:

Hi yes i have seen sharpe mate.They used to run the series on TV.I was still at school at the time and it used to be a treat to stay up with my dad to watch it.

Hi Dave,
Welcome to the forum.
The Baker Rifle is a very nice rifle.
Found this at the Rifleshop.
You can buy kit form or completed.
britishbakerrifle.gif
[url] http://www.therifleshoppe.com/baker_rifles.htm[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:
Whatever you do Dave be sure you know what you are getting .. some of those Baker repro "rifles" are built as smoothbores .. not a rifle at all!

I have has a chance to handle a couple of them at the Alamo re-enactments in San Antonio, and was surprized to find this out. I do not think the Rifle Shop model is a "smoothy" but I dunno! But please be aware of this issue! :hatsoff:

Welcome to the board, & a big howdy from Texas! :thumbsup:

Davy

Hi thanks for the heads up.I was aware of that most of the repros come with a smoothbore.Which is no good for shooting.

Hello and welcome from Germany, location of southern Bavaria.
How about the cruel UK gun law? Does it still allow ML?

Regards

Kirrmeister

Hi,yes the cruel gun laws allow muzzleloading.The usual laws apply.Which sucks.Like if i want a muzzleloading rifle.I have to produce good reason to the police for wanting it.Because it counts as a section 1 firearm(licence).

Smoothbores aren't so bad.They count as shotguns.And go one section 2 licence.So i can own as many as i want,without having to produce good reason to the police for each one.

Oh my god! This is much more heavy than in Germany. Here you don't need a permission for all kind of singleshot ML, both long and shortarm.

You can buy them when you are 18. Only for the bp you need a permission, but getting it is not to difficult, you have to make a bp safety course and load and shoot half a year.

Regards

Kirrmeister

Kirrmeister said:
You can buy them when you are 18. Only for the bp you need a permission, but getting it is not to difficult, you have to make a bp safety course and load and shoot half a year.
Regards
Kirrmeister

Kirr, you forget that you must be 21 to make the licence and to buy the bp.
:hatsoff:

But you can use these pressed bp pellets for a while, because they are ammo.

Kirrmeister

Welcome to the board! I've read that you can also purchase different caliber cap and ball revolvers. Something to look forward to.

I'v always been attracted to British rifles - I have a SMLE collection that I've been building for over 10 years and very fond of. Wonderful rifles - the best of their time if you ask me.

Enjoy your Baker when you get it!

Hi thanks for the welcomes.Yes i agree with the lee enfields.I plan on getting one.I will probably get a no4mk1.I would love the sniper varient but they cost a fortune.

I have shot a Lee Metford.Very accurate rifle.

Yeah i still want to get a Baker.But my only options is get a repro and hope i can fit a rifled barrel to it.Or get a rifle shoppe kit and build it.Or buy that rifle for £2500.

Back