• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

how do you carry your priming horn

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dave K said:
Kind of the reason I like a flat priming horn. It fits nicely in pocket or bag. Each to his own, I prefer not to have it hanging outside on the bag strap or around the neck. Too many things clanging and rattling around. Depending where you read,like Madison Grant's books on "Powder Horns and Their Architecture" or his book "The Kentucky Rifle Hunting Pouch", there are pictures of old original priming horns.

I have two little flat priming horns with the Tresco 3 grain plungers on the tip. Love'em! One for each bag. When I'm on a deer stand I just take it out and put it in top pocket for easy access since I re-prime about every 30 mins. in humid weather.

I made a 4f powder dispenser from an old rifle cartridge and crimped in a valve from Track of the Wolf. I drilled out the primer pocket; threaded the hole and screwed a flat tab screw in that opening for the dual purpose of filling it and securing it to the shooting pouch strap. I do not like to have such things dangling around my neck. This is sometimes used for priming when hunting, but as Mark commented, it is most often leant out to people at shooting events for clearing dryballs. I have come to use my main charge for priming except for those times when I really must take extra care for the shot to fire.

I have the makings of a small day horn which I hope to finish in the not to distant future which I will secure to a particular hunting pouch that is used for a smallbore rifle. This will be held by straps tied to forged iron rings sewn to the bag strap so that the horn hangs between.

CS

Back