• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Coin wrappers for Dove shoot...powder & shot

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roundball

Cannon
Reaction score
I'm going on a dove shoot with my Flintlock over Labor Day and while I probably won't use but a few, I know from dove shoots years ago it was easy to go through a box of shells...and given the distance I'll be driving I want to be well prepared.

Have been thinking about coin wrappers to carry premeasured powder charges in some, maybe a couple ziploc bags with a dozen charges in each bag.....and premeasured shot charges in another set of coin wrappers.

And if some wrappers dropped on the ground, that cheap paper would dissolve in short order and not leave long term litter, etc.

Anybody use coin wrappers as disposable carriers for premeasured powder or shot?

I haven't tried , but think it's a good idea. It would be easy to shove the empty in a pocket, and they hold closed fairly well. I have a couple with steel BB's inside that haven't broke yet. Most banks give them away free, the penny size may be about right. :hmm:

AWESOME!!!! Someone finally mentioned an idea I had been toying with. I'm working on a Chambers NE Fowler in 12 ga right now, and I was thinking of using coin wrappers for a shot cup.

I'd admit, though, that as a complete newbie, I was looking at the penny size. I know with "modern guns" that you can generally check the choke in a shotgun as a dime sits on a full choke muzzle, but will enter a modified choked muzzle.

My fowler is purely a cylinder bore, and I think the penny wrapper will need to constrict some to enter, possibly helping to hold the pattern better than the dime bags (OOOPPPSS Can I say THAT???) LOL

If someone knows better, please write me back. The barrel mics right at 72 caliber.

Take care.

Hugh

Here is what i use empty .12 ga hulls. I take a piece of mono fishing line and thread it through a needle and tie a knot in one end then push the needle up from the bottom and out the top of the corks and then cut it to the length i need tie a knot in the other end and use a piece of black electical tape to tape it to the empty hull. I use 1 color of hull for powder(black) and another for shot. here is a pic.
IM000822.jpg

They work great, just pop the cork out and you don't have to worry about loosing it and pour.

Coin wrappers sound excellent to me, especially since they collapse to nothing after use.

I used plastic film cannisters for premeasured powder charges when duck hunting, but they're too bulky and you are best off carrying a separate bag for the empties. Shot was dispensed from a snake with a built-in measure.

I'd probably still use plastic containers for the shot on duck hunts, but dove hunts should be dry rather than rainy.

Hey Roundball,
I use zig-zag ciggarette wrappers. I pour my powder on the wrapper, lick it, roll it, and tie the ends. When it comes time to shoot I tear one end open and toss the whole thing down the shoot. Works great and no litter.
Taylor in Texas

hhughh said:
AWESOME!!!! Someone finally mentioned an idea I had been toying with. I'm working on a Chambers NE Fowler in 12 ga right now, and I was thinking of using coin wrappers for a shot cup.
A friendly tip...using such things for shot cups is not a cake walk...they can be very tricky and sometimes contain the shot and go all the way to and through the target like a slug...be sure to experiment at the range first

I've already got a pile of Blue & Gray plastic powder/shot speed loaders, but am always worrying about putting the loaders back in a pocket and not losing them.

Looking for something I don't have to fiddle with too much, no tops to take off, etc...leaning towards coin wrappers as they're 'free' and disposable so I wouldn't be worried about losing empties.

I was thinking of something similar for my .62cal...a coin envelope with a .58cal Oxyoke wonderwad at the bottom of one end, with end flaps folded & glued in place.
Put in premeasured powder charge, and make a folded 'tail' of the remaining coin wrapper paper as a "tear off" later.

To use, tear off the and dump the powder in, push the torn paper end into the muzzle which leaves the glued end with the wad in it at the top...ram it down...then the shot and os card.

A concern with all the paper being down against the powder is this:
"will all the paper be 100% consumed by the inferno inside the bore, or will burning paper exit and come down on dry grass to possibly start a fire"

I used the coin wrappers last year for a dove shoot with my SXS. One for powder another for shot, and carried my shot cards in bag.
I carried 40 loads and ran out! So you had better carry plenty.
Old Charlie

The nice thing about the nitro papers (zig-zags) is that they completely burn up. I have never found a zig-zag paper down range, burning or otherwise. I carry my shot in hollowed out wooden sticks with corks in the top or I would consider getting a shot flask. I've tried just about every kind of preloaded shot contraption imaginable with mixed success. There just doesn't seem to be a better way than powder/card/wad/shot/card...boom!
Taylor in Texas

Texan, if its convenient, do you happen to have any photos of what you're talking about?

Seems like a lot of fiddle-faddling around and with more things to keep track of/carry and dispose of than necessary when out hunting.

Double (or even 2 single) powder and shot snakes (Irish or English) seem easier to me, especially out in the field. I have both a double (powder/shot) snake and a single (different shot size) snake that work just fine for the powder and shot, with cards/wads in a simple divided and easily accessable belt bag. Plenty fast to use in the field and no disposables that have to be carried back.

YMMV, but the snakes work for me.

I agree with Walks Alone. I use a flask instead of a snake, but the idea is the same. Take four lbs. of shot in a flask and a full Sikes style powder flask and go! Ok, just dump your measured powder from the flask in an old shot shell before sending it down the barrel. No clutter, no dropped papers, no mess. Just use the K.I.S.S. method. YES, I will be hunting with a ml'ing sxs shotgun during the dove season. That is about all I have used in the past 5yrs.

Hey Roundball,
Here is the promised picture. In the upper left is a pack of zig-zag doublewide nitrated papers. The things that look like "doobies" are actually 80 grains of powder wrapped up and tied in the zig-zags. The leather thong with the six sticks hanging from it are actually hollow oak vials made from oak and corked. Each vial holds 1 1/4 ounce of 7 1/2 shot. I carry the vials around my neck and the premeasured powder and wads in my bag. It works for me.
Later,
Taylor in Texas
zig-zags.jpg

That's cool...thank's for going to the trouble...reminds me somewhat of a sketch in occasional smoothbore articles showing a hunter with a 'bandolier' slung across his body with several vials hanging off of it on cords.

The fact that the papers are "double wides" answered another question about holding capacity.

The .62cal dove load I settled on is 80grns 3F plus 1+1/4oz 7.5's...

Old Charlie said:
I used the coin wrappers last year for a dove shoot with my SXS. One for powder another for shot, and carried my shot cards in bag.
I carried 40 loads and ran out! So you had better carry plenty.
Old Charlie

What ????????? You mean with the limit set at 12 you take more than 12 shots??????
:grin:

Yeah, been there, done that for sure...and this shoot I'm thinking of going to is a long drive so I thought I'd make up 50 sets...carry 25 sets into the field and have 25 spares in the truck...but to be honest, I'm not as interested in filling limits for limits sake anymore as I was as a young man...if I can manage to take a few with a Flintlock I'll be satisfied...

Roundball I didn't say nothing about filling any limits. :rotf: It had been many years between dove shoots and I did not fill the sky with feathers. :surrender:
Old Charlie

Back