• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Adirondack deer/bear

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Osprey

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Anybody hunt the New York Adirondack zone deer/bear October BP season? Looking at that as a possibility for 2008. Haven't begun map work yet or any planning, but thinking of a camp/canoe hunt for the week. Looks like a gorgous time to be in the woods up there. :v

Used to....and yes it is a beautiful time to be in the woods. However personally, I think the season is just to early. Our place in the Adirondacks just gets better as the Rut kicks into high gear. If I had to plan a week, I would plan on being up there mid to third week of November. :thumbsup:

osprey... "" looks like a gorgous time to be in the woods up there."" ""looks"" may be the problem! hunted the adirondacks fer 35 yrs or better, too many leaves on during muzzleloadin season.. gotta go with swampy on this fer sure..early-mid nov. is yer best bet for actually seein somethin..(don't get yer hopes up!but if ya do.. :shocked2: ) it'll probably be a dandy! beautiful country and not very crowded :confused: .. good luck! RC (seems,always! there is a major leaf fall on oct. 25th every year..wear yer eyes out watchin "movement!" :wink:

Well, ya know how it is, some hunts are for trophies, some are for meat, some are just to get out and hunt and see new territory. This is more the latter, and I have better places to spend the peak of the rut for monster bucks (no offense to you highlanders :hatsoff: ). Just looks like a fun hunt, not many crowds, cool temps, chance for bear, lotsa canoe time, etc.

AND few MOSQUITOES - which I'm quite sick of around here by October!! :cursing:

I do tend to look at deer hunting from a buck hunters view.

In that case go for it! I'm sure you'll enjoy the trek. Dress warm though and be prepared for waking up one morning with an inch or two of snow or freezing rain. The weather can be beautiful one minute and harsh the next up there. :v

"""osprey sayed """some hunts are for trophies, some are for meat, some are just to get out and hunt and see new territory.""" got'cha! this is the place..most hunters are lookin fer the "hunt" more than a trophy,or kill in the adirondacks.. (well they better be! :wink: ) it's beautful country,lotsa water, and you may run into somethin..maybe hugh! or nothin..but if yer goin jus to go "hunt",the adirondacks will exceed yer expectations! i always figure if i see a deer or bear or coyote it's a plus! the land is awesome,the nights and stars are spectacular.. life is good! (an a track now an then don't hurt! ha!) good luck! RC :thumbsup:

I hunted there last year and will try and get up there again this year for early bear. I think it is in the 2nd week of September and yes the vegetation is very thick.

But like you I enjoy just being there and the hunt and killing something is good but second to the hunt.

Hunted just west of Speculator last year but only seen some fresh scat from a bear and no bear. I did however get a line on where they were feeding last year but it was too late to return to hunt them.

Going to take the Big .58 again this year in hopes of deflating one of the bruins. Below is a photo of a creek I passed over on the way to hunt. BEAUTIFULL (photo bucket is down right now, when it comes back up I will post the photo)

october06026.jpg

october06025.jpg

october06049.jpg

rabbit03

That's just too pretty. I've gotta make plans for a trip up there. :thumbsup:

Osprey, drop me an email or PM on the trip if you decide to go. I'm thinking of doing a similar type wilderness canoe hunt with my recurve. Maybe we can trade some scouting/planning info. I have a sports afield article from some time back on a small game trip into the cranberry lake area of the adirondacks I can share with you.

I go every year. That top picture is the Jessup river looking downstream towards Speculator. Middle picture is West Canada Creek looking north, taken from the Noblesboro bridge on Route 8. Don't recognize the bottom picture. I haven't shot a deer in quite a few years but other than not having meat in the freezer I'll never complain about the hunting in the Adirondacks. I can count the number of other hunters I've seen in the woods during muzzleloading season on one hand for the last 10 years combined. That's my idea of a good hunt. I see deer pretty much every year but except for a few really dedicated hunters it's either shoot the first deer you see or take your chances on not seeing any more. I can live with that. Where else can you hunt in full period clothing and not worry about some idiot shooting at you?

Dick

Hello Muskrat thanks for the info. It sure is pretty up there isn't it?

20 years ago we camped on the West Canada Creek by a bridge, but not sure where. But to tell you that it was beautifull would not do it justice.

I am still trying to get up there and hope to get my business here finished up in a week or two so I can maybe have a chance at a bear before the snow flies!!!

rabbit03

Hey Swamp Rat how is it going in your part of the world? Ready to hunt?

Bear fat sounds real good, and if I get one I guess I will have to save the fat also! :thumbsup:

rabbit03

Did a couple days in a tent there in July - even then not crowded. Saw does around Paradox lake. Would love to make it up this year - even just fer squirrels n such.
Being a lifelong NYer, it's also nice to go to a place where nobody thinks twice if they see you with a gun in the woods. :)

I've held off replying to this thread for awhile now, because every time Tug Hill or the Adirondacks are mentioned, I just about turn inside-out with enthusiasm and just spew everything and nothing all at once. Can't help it. Those are two places that have kept me from leaving NY for decades now. I've always lived within 20 or 30 minutes of both areas.

I'm not too far from either. But staying on track with the Adirondacks, whereabouts do you have in mind for hunting? I'd strongly suggest a few weekend trips during the EARLY spring (black flies can be horrific once the air gets a bit of warmth in the spring!!!!) or during the summer, combine mini-vacations and scouting, along with good sound advice from people with experience; not me, necessarily, I still hunt mostly the same place that my family has owned since long before I was born, so I haven't a LOT of experience elsewhere. I do hike and travel throughout, though, same as many many others here, so for those purposes, yeah sure I can help.

As far as photos - I have hundreds, and have lost hundreds more due to computer crashes, print photos being lost or destroyed, etc. I'll post a few, but as far as photobucket, I don't know how to link it so that you can just go there and view what you choose. I have been told to try snapfish, but haven't yet done so.

Every first Sunday in October since 1976, I've made an annual trek to Bald Mountain in the Town of Webb, Herkimer County, just north of Old Forge, NY. Actually, although it's commonly called "Bald Mountain," its proper name is Rondaxe Mountain. Anyways... there's a long story behind the reason why I go each year, I won't go into it here, besides I think I already have in the past. The only photos I have are from 2005. Kind of nice, but not the best. Every year is different. Some years, the colors aren't even turning (rare); other years, it's peak season for the leaves, other years the leaves are long gone and there's snow on the ground(as much as 14 inches, back in 1979 or 1980 or whatever).

Oh well... I warned ya...

One of my favorites, it's my desktop/wallpaper, I call it "Stairway to Heaven," LOL!

BalMtn2ndOct2005054.jpg

BalMtn2ndOct2005015.jpg

BalMtn2ndOct2005013.jpg

BalMtn2ndOct2005071.jpg

Same as above, but different f-stop
BalMtn2ndOct2005070.jpg

okay, getting carried away is not a good thing... that's all for now I guess.

P.S. - Guess what this Sunday is?!?!?! LOL!!! And my camera is being repaired... oh well, I'll see if I can use my daughter's.

- Tim

It'll be at least fall '08 before I can get up that way, but you all ain't making it any easier! :cursing:

I'll spend a good part of the winter planning and daydreaming. Gorgeous pics. Was up there only once, just tooling around in a brand new Jeep in '98 for a week, camping and exploring during September. Anxious to get back, and a hunt is a grand excuse!!

ha ha!! :grin: i'll be up there the 13th! sleepin in a nice tent huntin fer somethin.. enjoyin the scenery.. awesome place!! :grin: gotta get there!!! :grin:

That's okay, around the 13th I'll be running down the beach in the dark in the old Jeep, hiking in over the dunes with my new flintlock, prowling the marshes and myrtles for sika and whitetail, then heading back on the beach for lunch to watch the porpoises migrate. And maybe, if I'm very lucky, some bikinis cavorting in the surf! :grin:

okay ya got me on the porpoises! :shocked2: and we ain't never seen myrtle cavortin in the surf in a bikini! : :wink:

Latest posts

Back