• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Good news RE: Green Mt Barrels

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rat Trapper

62 Cal.
Reaction score
Got an email back from Green Mountain barrels regarding the "Helicoil insert". They are no longer putting that insert in their barrels. Anyone who wants a replacement barrel only needs to state they do not want the helicoil insert and they will make sure you get one of the new barrels. So I take that to mean there still may be a few of the helicoil insets barrels left in inventory.

Rat Trapper said:
Got an email back from Green Mountain barrels regarding the "Helicoil insert". They are no longer putting that insert in their barrels. Anyone who wants a replacement barrel only needs to state they do not want the helicoil insert and they will make sure you get one of the new barrels. So I take that to mean there still may be a few of the helicoil insets barrels left in inventory.
I guess they got the message from consumers...that's good.

They messed up the threading on the breech plugs and rather than biting the bullet and replacing the whole plug they decided to repair the faulty threads with heli-coil inserts.

Do a search on heli-coil for the history of this.

You can follow this link to find out more about Helicoils in the Green Mountain barrels.
HELI-COIL BARREL FIX

There is a lot more on the forum. Just enter Helicoil in the search area and you will find out more than anyone would want to know about them.

zonie :)

mine was repaired, reblued and the breach plug replaced by gm no questions asked very good response I may end up with a new nipple as well. Now I need to find a junked out renegade w/a good stock and lock to put it on when it gets here in a week or so. every good barrel deserves a good home.

I sent 2 of 'em back to GM. The first came back to me in @ a month and a half. The second took 4 months to get back. They both look good now.

I called before sending the first. The lady who answered the phone was very nice but not too helpful. The guy in the shop, who I got transferred to, was grumpy and tried arguing that it was "a perfectly acceptable repair". I told him that ANY "repair" was unacceptable on a new barrel. He said "send it back", and hung up on me.

I never bothered to call the second time. Just sent it in. Could be why it took so long...

Anyway, they're both good now. :grin:

I certainly hope Green Mountain has corrected this :bull: situation and learned something in the process.

Latest posts

Back