• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New Englander Load Found......WOW!!!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Guys, after shooting and testing I have settled on a load. I am excited so I have to share the information.

First, My shotgun is the T/C New Englander, Cylinder bore, No choke what so ever. 12 Gauge

I tested about every Wad combo I could think of and used from 1-F to 3-F Goex.

Here it is....18-24 Peletes in the Head and Neck with NO Slug effects. Range was set at 30 yards.

80 Grains of 1-F. I noticed very quickly that Velocity was the enemy. 2-F and 3-F would blow the pattern every time. 1-F I started at 100 Grains and went down 10 Gr at a time and 80 Was showing Promice.

Next Two Felt T/C Wads. Easy to load, great gas seal, lots of cushion.

Home Made shot cup. Double thickness wad made from a paper slightly more flexable than an index card. The top of the cup is left open, and not folded over the shot. If I folded it over, I got a slug effect. I have to make 4 slits in it from the mouth to 1/8" from the base. it leaves the muzzle and then leaves the charge 10 Yards in front of the muzzle. Equally in all directions.

1 1/2 oz #5 Magnum Shot a 12 Gauge should be able to shoot this so that is what I stuck with throughout testing. It gives a Wonderfull full 30" pattern at 30 yards. Maybe a little less.

Two thin Overshot Wads (Circle Fly)

I would run the whole works down and used a light to Medium pressure on the wads and Cup on the powder.

CCI #11 Magnum Cap.

CLEAN BARREL I saw that I needed to clean the barrel after every 3 shots. If I didn't, Patterns would open up. I think the Fouling acted as a "GLUE" and mess up the INTERNAL ballistics.

I even LUBED the shot cup with Natural Lube 1000 to combat this and somehow got slugging effects. It would blow a hole thru the target big enough to sling a cat through.

I got to get some pictures posted of my "Woods Wad" It really was the clencher. I used regular paper and it did pretty good, but not NEAR as good as the thick paper cup.

I am thinking that the Uniform release of the wad was the key.

I sure hope this saves some of you New Englander owners some time.

Headhunter

greetings headhunter,

great info thanks alot. did you say 'NOT' to lube the wad paper??

thanks and ..ttfn..grampa..

The grease adds weight to a considerable degree to the paper. You have ot cut slits in the wads so they open like an air brake on a plane win to get them to stop outside the barrel.

Back