• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Wedge Tent Set-up

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2Knives

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I finally got a tent that i really enjoy but the only problem is that i can never get it set up alone. I love to be the first one at a voo and because of this, i'll be setting it up alone. Does anyone have any tips?? I followed the instructions that Panther provided and they work great for two. I was thinking of building a center pole to get it all stood up before i set in the front and back. Anyone got any suggenstions??

What size wedge do you have & does it have a ridge pole? I like to have help but can put up our museum wedge by myself.

Not sure what size wedge you've got - I had Panther's Big Back Bell. 8' tall - 10'2" long with 5' bell. The lodge had gromets in the top where the pins on the mast poles went through.
What I would do was lay the tent out - have the mast poles with the ridge pole set up inside. The pins in the mast poles went through the ridge pole and stuck out about 2 inches. Then stake 2 corners on the one side (front and back, before the bell started. Now take 2 ropes that are long enough to go from the 2 pins sticking out the top and give you enough room to pull the tent up (holding both ropes). What you are doing is pulling against the side that is staked (if it's windy, be sure your not pulling into the wind). Once you've pulled the tent up - stake the 2 ropes out far enough that you can pull the un-staked side of the tent out and stake it. After you've staked it - flip the ropes off - you can take the lodge down by doing this process in reverse. Don't laugh, it works.
hope this helps, Wart

This is how I set up my big wedge tent by myself - 10 wide by 12 long by 8 1/2 high.

I lay the tent out flat on one side. I then stake the corners of the top side tight. I pull the ridge top over to those stakes, and then pull the other side out from underneath until it is about where it needs to be staked. I loosely stake the two corners of it - a little short of where I will end up stretching it tight. I then slide the ridge pole inside the wedge tent, and into place. I then put the front pole through the ridge pole, and stand it up to about where it needs to be. I grab the back pole and then walk into the wedge tent pushing the ridge pole up as I go until I get to the back. While holding the ridge pole up, I then slip the back pole through the ridge pole and stand it upright to about where it needs to end up. I then go outside and re-stake that loosely staked side to it's final position - stretching it tight. If need be, I go back in ad re-adjust the upright poles to get it all to stand square. I then go out and put in all the rest of the stakes.

To take down, I loosen up a few stakes and go inside. I remove the back upright pole, and lower the ridge pole down as I walk to the front. I then remove the front upright pole, and pull out the ridge pole. Then pull all the stakes and fold up the tent.

This works for me - with the big 10x12x8 wedge, and the 6x8x6 foot wedge.

yhs
Mike Ameling

Exactly what Wart said but drive a stake at the bases of the upright poles to keep them from sliding towards you when pulling.You can do adjustments when you have it standing.

Don't you remember how soggy that bp clubs grounds were Stumblin Wolf - never had to stake the mast poles :rotf:

What Stumblin Wolf says about blocking the mast poles from slipping is a good idea :v

Try this link at Tentsmiths (you have to scroll down):
[url] http://www.tentsmiths.com/period-tents-pole-instructions-tents.html[/url]

Only takes a few minutes with my wedge from them. Happy 'vous'-ing.

Greytop :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
Well apparently a West Wind was a whole lot more interested in my tent the other day. After getting it set up and going to work a wind storm did a number on it and i've got it in a local canvas shop getting repaired. I haven't even taken it to a voo yet and i'm already getting it worked on. I wish warranties covered Texas weather. :redface:

Back