• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Just got my Old Army Back from Ruger. Check this out!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Guys, I thought I would pass this on. A Testimony to Ruger, and their warranty.

A couple months ago, I bought a used Old Army that was kind of rough, but it was cheap. All of the nipples were froze in the cylinder, Two nipples had broken easy outs in them. Other than that, it looked well, well used and worse for wear.

I decided to send it to Ruger and bite the big one and have them fix it up. I sent a letter stating that I received the Old Army in the condition it is now and I was not the original purchaser.

I asked if they could repair as needed, and get it to shooting condition.

I was waiting for the postcard that will state the ammount owed when Fed Ex Delivered a package.

I opened the box and it was my OLD ARMY!

Here is what they did.

Barrel - Repaired
Cylinder - Replaced
Internal Parts - Replaced as needed
Hammer - Replaced
Screws - Replaced
6 extra nipples (Stainless)
Reblued

Charge-------$0.00

Now THAT is what I am Talking ABOUT!

It looks like a brand new OLD ARMY!

Too nice to shoot (Almost)

I am writing them a letter of thanks today.

Headhunter

They couldn't buy better advertisement at twice the prise. What it cost Ruger to fix your pistol is very cost productive when it comes to advertising. Use to be that if you did something wrong or right for a customer it would reach about 250 people, now days with internet forums like this one you reach a lot more. Ruger has always treated me right on repairs.

That is very welcome information. The one I have was purchased from the daughter of the original owner and she did not believe he ever fired it. I don't anticipate the need to return it to the factory for repairs anytime soon. It still gives one a good secure feeling to know that if the need did arise it would be handled in the manner you have so eloquently described. Before and after pictures would be nice if you can do it.

Use that fine gun in good health my friend.

Had the same experience with my Old Army I bought in the 80's. last Sept. I delivered it to Newport NH with a trigger problem , and in a few weeks and it returned all tuned up with all parts and labor N/C.
Ruger stands behind their products!

i am glad to hear of your excellent service and you have your gun back. i have always liked some of the ruger lineup and have wanted any old army for a long time. now i wont be as shy at looking at used ones , as a new one is a bit out of my price range right now.

thanks for sharing your good experiences, so many times we only hear about the negative things. we need to hear more good stuff.

god bless,

duke21

I have heard that Ruger is very good about customer service,now it is confirmed!I love my Stainless .357 Blackhawk smooth action and she can get bullseyes from 25 yards if I do my part!

That is the best advertisement that Ruger could have - excellent customer service. I've had good luck with Marlin and Henry also. With Henry the company President answers the customer service communiques! They are great rifles also. Ruger is going to sell a lot of their Old Armys, I have a stainless and it is a great shooter. Wish I could afford the Clements .50 conversion to play with but since I have a .50 rifle it is low priority and besides my ROA shot thru a 300 lb. wild hog chest broadside using a Lee mold conical.

glad to hear that ruger is still up to their old tricks! i love it when they ship a pistol back while your still waiting on the price. they fixed and shipped a blackhawk that was made when i was 2 yrs old. i was still waiting on the repair cost i sure as hell wasn't the first owner. no questions asked and fixed like new. ruger rocks!

I did the same thing 7 years ago...but it ended differently. Someone talked me into buying a ROA at an auction in very rough condition, probably fired with pyrodex and never cleaned again. Total price: $160. I bought it because he said that Ruger would probably fix it for free. It was hard to look at, a nice 'old' '73-'74 model with pre-warning barrel, in such poor condition...

I sent it in with a similar letter. They replaced the cylinder, barrel, and various other parts, and charged me $277. Total cost: $386 :( . I would rather have bought a new one for that price. (It was possible at the time.) I'm not impressed with the accuracy either, although I haven't really wrung it out completely yet. I wonder what I did differently? Stan

Hard to say Stan but that was obvious neglect there on the part of the owner. Wish you better luck in future with your ROA. :v

Now that's how to make a customer for life :) One of our BP league shooters just finished winning the pistol competition with his Ruger OA...scored a 92-100 and beat out the single shot crowd with the double triggers & all :blah: Can't wait to hear how it hits. Enjoy & MAKE SOME SMOKE :thumbsup: All the best, Dave

sounds like they thought....

"here's a guy that's honest with us, lets treat him right and keep him as a customer"

way to go....see it does mean something to be honest :v .............bob

Back