• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Denim weight?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm serious, you can buy denim in 5 oz to 20 oz weight. I'm sure someone must have used some for patch material and know something about weight and thickness.

If you are interested in using denim for patching, teh thickness needs to be measured with a micrometer. Each bolt is a little different, with a different thickness, even within the same weight.

I suggest that you invest in a caliper or micrometer.

IMHO, denim is a little too thick for patching. You might want to try something closer to # 40 cotton drill. It runs about .015-.018, or so in thickness.
J.D.

Yes I know how its measured and I have a micrometer. Just thought I could buy some online. I need something more than .022 which is to loose with a .690 ball. Something about .025 or .028 should be about right.

I probably never would buy yardage so I wouldn't know about weights, but old jeans are a likely source for me. Decided to do some measuring so you could compare with the posted weights of jeans at their makers' sites.

A pair of really old brown carharts was first. The butt is worn to 0.019" just beyond the blowout that sent them to the rag bag, and the leg mikes 0.021". Not heavy enough for you, but it does tell you which part of the carharts I use more! :shocked2:

Out of curiosity I just miked the legs on the carhart bluejeans I'm wearing (about 6 months old) and they come in at 0.023".

Now ya got me goin. I just checked the closet and almost new brown carharts came in at 0.24 on the leg and almost new Levi 550's come in right between 0.025" and 0.026".

And best of all my wife knows for sure that muzzleloaders are nuts! She followed me around watchin and sayin nothing, but took off for the other room when I leaned down for a closer look at the pants she was wearing! :rotf:

:rotf: Thanks BrownBear! Now if I can find what weight those jeans you just measured are made from... Sounds like the 550's are close to what I may need too. :thumbsup:

If this is what your talking about Brownbear, then it says they are made of 13.75 oz denim. So thats a good place to start, thank you.
[url] http://www.kingsizedirect.com...cation_id=01&WT.mc_id=k1343&mid=j9249647[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:
That's them. Mine have been washed a few times but we never run them through the dryer, so wear from new shouldn't be too bad. Still look new anyway! You might give yourself half a thousandth fudge room on quessing the thickness, but sounds like you have that much slack to work with anyway.

If you don't want to order yardage sight unseen and get stuff you won't use, why not go to a second hand store and pick up a pair for next to nothing? Cheap way to try it out without paying shipping.

I know that this is not an answer to your question but maby it will help. Cloth is measured in ounces to the square yard. When a piece of cloth is woven and run through the machinery after it is finished someone will cut a 1 yard square out at some random point. This will be weighed, measureds for thickness, strength and a host of other test are performed on it. It is then divided into relative weight catagories with other "pieces" of the same type material. A "piece" can be from about 25 yards to over 100.

I hope that this helps. If not then you should be thoroughly confused if nothing else. :surrender: :surrender:

The #40 Drill pocket liner is great. You can get this at Joanns Fabrics. It runs .015 to .018 as stated above. :thumbsup:

You might get evicted or meet the boys in blue, but it occurs to me that taking your mike to a seconhand store is probably a good idea. My numbers are for washed and worn fabrics, while the new stuff right off the bolt will almost surely be thicker. The secondhand rack would let you pick and choose exactly what you wanted for tests, and even after you picked one and supplies started to run low.

Up here I can't get around the shipping costs for anything you might pick up online, while jeans in our local "Nordstroms" go for 50 cents a pair.

Yeah but for someone who don't get around to well, the internet is a godsend.

I'll see if I can't find a fabric place around here some where and check. Thanks!

You got that right! No way our local stores stock anything close to what I need, and driving is not an option when you live on an island. Shipping is still a whole lot cheaper than plane tickets!

Swamp Rat said:
Yes I know how its measured and I have a micrometer. Just thought I could buy some online. I need something more than .022 which is to loose with a .690 ball. Something about .025 or .028 should be about right.

It's not denim but I shoot a .028 and .030 canvas patch out of all my greenmtnbarrels. I get my canvas at wallmart in the fabric section, If you can't find it at your wallmart PT me and I will get the order # or bar code and PT you back with it. I am sure your wallmart can order it from the same place my wallmart gets it from. The stuff is great and hold up under the hottest load.
:thumbsup:

Swamp Rat said:

Am I to assume that you are shooting a .690 ball in a 11 or 12 gauge smooth bore?

I would suggest using a larger ball, in the range of .715. My bess shoots that .715 ball with a .018 cotton drill patch very well. That combination thumb starts and has won its share of smoothbore matches and taken several deer.

IMHO, while a .690 ball will work IF you can find adequately thick patching, a larger ball with a thinner patch will probably be more accurate.

IMHO, thinner .018 patching is ALLOT easier to find than thick patching.
J.D.

J.D,

Both .690 and .715 dia balls will be tried. Which ever preforms best I will use. Just trying to find suitable patching for the .690s atm. I see nothing wrong with getting a half or a yard of the canvas G man mentioned to try. Didn't make it to walmart to see if they had any today but I will soon. :v

Back