• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Traditions flintlocks,Opinions

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doing a survey .What is your opinion on Traditions Flintlocks? Which do they shoot better Round Ball or Conicals?

I purchased a Traditions Pennsylvania flintlock rifle years ago. After a bit of fine tuning on the lock it works flawlessly. It works best with round balls because of the twist in rifling. In fact, it is the most accurate muzzel loader I have. The ony problem one will encounter is that after 15 shots or so the touch hole and vent has to be cleaned out. The touch goes into the barrel and breach plug and makes a 90 deg. turn and comes out the middle if the breech plug into the barrel. A piece of soft iron wire works well to clear the fouling out. I built a Thompson Center Hawken type rifle in the New England style and a Dixie Gun Works Tennesee flintlock long rifle from kits They are accurate, but the rifling is a compromise twist for round ball or minie ball. The Traditions rifle is the most accurate of the the three. My 93 year old dad shoots a traditions Hawken and it is very accurate because, it too, has a round ball twist in the rifling. :m2c:

Doing a survey .What is your opinion on Traditions Flintlocks? Which do they shoot better Round Ball or Conicals?

That would depend on a few things...

1. Rifling: rate of twist will favor one over the other, usually...

2. How it was loaded: powder charge and patch thickness along with lubes will change the point of impact as well at bullet styles will group differently... Also cleaning between shots is another factor...

3. The shooter: shooting off hand as compaired to bench rest will give varied results as well...

Back