• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Mountain Rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

halfdan

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I am embarking on a refinishing project on an older CVA mountain rifle. Does anyone have any pics of some originals or well done replicas I can see for reference?

Thanks,

I've had two of these and they both came stock as crappy brown rifles. Just cold water would cause the stock finish to run. I would pick a color, strip it down and create a rifle to your own liking.

I like tru oil to finish mine but that's a persona preference.

Both my mountain rifles were trendous shooters.
Good luck.

I restocked my Mountain Rifle with a Leman style stock. The one that came with the rifle did not have a long enough pull and too little drop for my taste.

It is the middle rifle in the picture.

Rifles.jpg

Photobucket in running like a pig today. Hopefully this will show up.

Thanks Davy. That really cleaned it up. :thumbsup:

I restocked it about thirty years ago with a Pecatonica Leman halfstock. I replaced the buttplate and nosecap and had to add an entry thimble. I also replaced the octagon thimbles with plain round ones. All the other parts are from the original. I left off the capbox. I don't use them and like the plain look better.

The rifle still shoots well after all the use it has had. I took it to a challenge shoot last month and placed third. The two blown shots that dropped me down were not the fault of the rifle but operator error.

Maybe its my eyes, mine is about the aame 54 perc but I dont have air under the barrel, I changed the org rib for a wider one. Fred :hatsoff: Ck old cats and books for pics, or someone might run a org here, mine has been shortened in the front wood same steel/pewter front ect, still shoots great years later (if ya get by those CVA locks)

Mike we seem to share the same problem. Most guns are made for little folks. I have a CVA Frontier that shoots great but is the most uncomfortable gun I've ever tried to sight down the barrel of. I imgaine the CVA Mountain Rifle would be the same story.

I really like the stock you put on your Mountain Rifle. Can you give more details on the work you did to it?

I picked up a pre-carved Leman stock from Pecatonica that had a 15/16" barrel channel and ramrod hole cut.

The position of the two wedges didn't look quite right and would have encroched into the ramrod channel so I removed them and put staples in the new positions.

The CVA buttplate was too wide for the new stock so I ordered a Leman buttplate. The pewter nose cap was the wrong configuration so I went with an iron nose cap and entry thimble. The entry thimble was round and did not match the octagon shaped ones that came with the rifle. I got round thimbles to match the entry thimble. I ordered the parts from TOW and went to work.

It was my first effort at inletting a stock and fitting all the goodies so things went kind of slow and I made my share of mistakes. When I got the lock and triggers inletted, I measured back from the front trigger to where the deepest part of the buttplate would be to get the pull I wanted. I used a coping saw to rough cut the buttplate area and used inletting black to bring it in flush.

When it was finished I was pleased with the way it looked. The rifle fit great.

That was about thirty years ago. I have since built a few rifles I see the mistakes I made on this piece. I keep telling myself that I want to fix the cosmetic boo-boos but something else always comes up. Maybe one of these days.

Thanks Mike for the info. Now I'm kicking myself for not bidding on a 1x32 CVA .58 barrel in the white I saw on eBay recently. It went for about 80 bucks. I figure I have enough CVA parts minus a proper barrel I could justify a restocking project like yours. I'm too poor and too much of a savenger to go out and buy a complete kit. :haha:

i was surprised to find that cva actually still sells the barrels for their sidelocks and supports the warranties on their old sidelocks. just contact the company directly. they told me that they'd put a replacement barrel on my cva for $80. this was a pretty obscure rifle, made to copy the t/c white mountain carbine. the barrel is a little 21" octagonal-to-round design. i guess they still have some, they had a part number for it and everything :shocked2:

Back