• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

getting some zzzzzzzs

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roger zavoda

36 Cal.
Reaction score
any body got any ideas for a good bed for a wall tent :snore: ive gone from foam on the ground covered up to a cot covered up now i need a nice bed

You need to give a little more info re what you are trying to do with your camp. A bed for a fur trapper will not be the same as an army majors. Or are you just looking for non PC comfort? Mrs C & I portray a late 18th C couple relocating to the west & use a rope bed as we are taking a few home furnishings with us.

not to good at this yet. my reply to coot on this bed thing . im a trapper old and tired , living with my squaw and now retired to maybe outside a fort in a wall tent trading a few things now and then. the year is about 1838 or so. need a good transportable bed to put up in a rondezvous situation lite easy to set up and take apart. :hmm:

Hi Roger.

In each posting on the forum, there is a "reply" key in the lower right. To reply to a message, click on thet key & a new "reply" screen will open. Using this feature allows a string of post, reply, reply to reply, etc to develop.

Back to your original question (which is now a separate post & not visible in the 'string of replys that we are starting) -

You asked about a camp bed to replace the "covered up cot" that you have been using. You have clarified your camp situation in this post. For a "old retired fur trapper, living in a wall tent" I thing a rope bed would be a reasonable idea. (Different opinions may well be posted but that is how the forum works), The key is that the materials & style of your bed should be on the plain, somewhat crude end of the furnishings spectrum to fit the persona that you are working with. Small ( 4" or so) debarked tree trunks might make good rails.

There is a string or two of previous rope bed questions & answers on the forum. I suggest that you do a search (the forum has a search feature built in) for "rope bed" on forum "topics" & read these past strings. If you have questions on construction techniques, I will be glad to help but you might want to read up & also see if better ideas surface before you decide on a rope bed. My 'experimental' rope bed works well enough for me that I will be building a 'final version' rope bed this winter.

Here's a nice, period correct, matress pad for you:[url] http://www.colonialmarket.com/casada/paillasse.html[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:
I made essentially the same thing out of matress ticking, a simple sewing job. Don't tell anyone but I fill mine with a self inflating air mattress.

Russianblood said:
Here's a nice, period correct, matress pad for you:[url] http://www.colonialmarket.com/casada/paillasse.html[/quote][/url]

$75 for a canvas "bag"? :shocked2:

Sir Michael said:
I made essentially the same thing out of matress ticking, a simple sewing job. Don't tell anyone but I fill mine with a self inflating air mattress.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Two thumbs up to that! That's kinda my approach to it all. Look the part, but cheat a bit on the comfort aspect if at all possible! hehe

Plink, when I was growing up we used to use straw in the tne at hunting camp under a tarp for a mattress and insulation. We lived a long way from any real city so straw was redily avaliable now I live in the big city and that is no longer the case. Besides, comfort is priortiy in my life these days. I live with enough pain as is.

If I'd have know I was going to live this long I'd have taken a lot better care of myself along the way.

Sir Michael said:
If I'd have know I was going to live this long I'd have taken a lot better care of myself along the way.

Wiser words have never been spoken!

Rope bed sounds good. If you need a mattress nows the time to get the filling, know anybody doing waterfoul hunting? Nothing better, or warmer than a down mattress, sure beats straw.

An old local friend had an authentic early 1700s house which he lived in without any modern stuff except running water. Still had many of the original features including rope bed with (still) soft and comfy down/feather filled mattress. Get some linen for the shell, if you sew baffles into it it will keep the down from shifting.

Not sure if anyone here reads Fur, Fish, Game magazine. A recent article (Lew and Charlie series) decribes them making a similar mattress from ducks they harvested...........

Claude said:
Dale Brown said:
Russianblood said:
Here's a nice, period correct, matress pad for you:[url] http://www.colonialmarket.com/casada/paillasse.html[/quote][/url]

$75 for a canvas "bag"? :shocked2:

Yes, but it's specially designed to hold straw or leaves. :grin:

Oh yeah, I made one of these for myself. Nice. Comfy, too even down into the teens overnight.

Cruzatte

Back