• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

CVA side by side

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

david50

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Hey! folks,i've got a CVA double barrel i need some info on . it's a caplock with blued barrels,all the hardware is stainless steal engraved with duck hunting scenes.it has a straight wrist english style stock with decent checking.cant get any info from CVA except that they dont make sidelocks anymore.was just kind of wondering how old it might be,what choke the barrels may be ect. any info would be appriciated.
thanks much
david

Sounds like a CVA trapper shotgun. I have one in 12 ga, need to get a hammer fixed on it. I think they were made in the 80's. I also believe they are full choke.

I have a ton of fun with mine.

Matt, the Trapper is a single barrel and his is a double. I have never heard of one they made that was stainless steel though.

i have the same gun. cylinder and cylinder bore. nice gun. :thumbsup: i don't think its stainless, just left in the white. great shooter with a round ball too.

David50
I had one back in the '80's. It was my first bp shotgun. The locks were either stainless or heavilly plated because it never dulled or rusted. It worked well. I believe the barrels were cylinder because they performed like cylinder. I fired many a round at doves, even got a few. Also fired at many grouse, but never got one. Lots of fun, enjoy.
God bless.
volatpluvia

I,ve owned several of the 12 doubles made by "Navy" , CVA, etc. Most were cyl bore and shot great. I've killed countless critters with one of these. From rabbits up to deer. Most had good steel but crappy sears/triggers. I shot several deer with a CVA whose bbls crossed, with solid .710 round balls at 45 yds. I used a "baggie" to tie up my 1 oz #6 shot charges and with light loads the pattern was less than 2 inches at 40 yds!! This was theoretically only useful on "human critters"! A creature hit with a "bag of 2225 #6 shot" at about 1000 fps was in trouble? :thumbsup:

checked the serial # on mine, made in 83. nice looking piece of wood. also asked on another topic - can a double be jug chocked?

Back