• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

1816 Musket by Pedersoli

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marcstephen

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Any thoughts on Pedersoli's 1816 Musket? To me it looks really nice. But someone who owns one or has examined one speack up!!!!

Thank you,

Marc Findlay

Marc,
I owned several M1816's by Pedersoli and they are very close to the originals in heft and feel. It may be their best weapon in production. The parts even come close to interchanging with originsls- but not perfect. They are a work-horse and feel solid. The internal parts are well-made and except for mainsprings which are prone to breakage- will stand up well to hard use. They use the French drum-conversion, which is not as commonly found as other conversions, but it works well and is tight. Email me if you have questions- I have one right now.

Cheers,
Jim Chocole
[email protected]

I have an original that was converted to percussion. The lock is stamped

D. Nippes
Mill Creek, Pennsylvania

behind the hammer and has an Eagle with US in front of the hammer. I dont know right off if it is Springfield or Harpers Ferry built.
[url] http://www.civilwarguns.com/9809.html[/url]

Heres a little info on them.

B

I do need to fix the stock, and sure would be interested in a replacement if anyone would happen to have one or know where one could be had.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey B- I would contact Dunlap Woodcrafts for a new stock. Or contact Steve Krolick through the Rifle Shoppe for a repair.

Hope this helps,
Jim Chocole

Bountyhunter, your musket is not a product of either Harpers Ferry or Springfield, it is a musket made by the contractor Daniel Nippes. What repairs are needed? As Jim suggests, Dunlap has stocks but they are not finished stocks and do need a fair amount of work to finish - inletting of band springs, fitting for the bands, minor work fitting the breech and inletting the breechplug tang and final inletting of the lock as well as bringing the rest of the stock to an overall final finish state by removing minor machine marks. The M1816 muskets were not interchangeable so this is to be expected. The Rifle Shoppe may be able to help with some parts if needed.

V-

Well, some handy dandy frontiersman decided to customize it by sawing off the stock about where the second band should be. I have short stock, barrel, back band, ramrod, and all functional hardware. Just need to replace the stock and middle band and nose cap. I know that they were all hand made and that the parts are not likely interchangeable. If I could lay hands on the front two bands, then it wouldnt be much of a deal to fit them to the stock.

It will be a tussle to get it fixed back up, but it will be worth it, as it belonged to my great great gpa. It is in amazingly good condition, and I think could be fired if I could get a new stock for it. In fact, the old man used it like it is, it just looks funny. He brought it with, when he came from Ohio to Kansas in about 1868. I have pics of it somewhere, maybe I can find them.
Bill

Pics would be great. How long is the barrel? If still in its original 42" length then you have an "easy" job. The two vendors mentioned by Jim are perhaps the best. Dunlap has forearms that will work, barrel 90% inlet and exterior rough turned to approximate dimensions. TRS will be able to supply you with new castings of the original bands and bandsprings and even a repop ramrod. You might also try Lodgewood Manufacturing at:
[url] http://www.lodgewood.com/[/url]

Specifically for the original M1816 at:
[url] http://www.lodgewood.com/Springfield 1816.htm[/url]

Marcstepehen, sorry for the hijack of your thread... :redface: Maybe some of this will benefit you in the future.

Last edited by a moderator:
jchochole said:
Marc,
I owned several M1816's by Pedersoli and they are very close to the originals in heft and feel. It may be their best weapon in production. The parts even come close to interchanging with originsls- but not perfect. They are a work-horse and feel solid. The internal parts are well-made and except for mainsprings which are prone to breakage- will stand up well to hard use. They use the French drum-conversion, which is not as commonly found as other conversions, but it works well and is tight. Email me if you have questions- I have one right now.

Cheers,
Jim Chocole
[email protected]

I shoot an origianl 1816 flint that was reconverted back to flint from drum persussion
long before I bought it. The lock needed some attention so I sent it to someone known for work on such period arms who will remain nameless. The barrel went to Bob Hoyt for a liner job which as usual for Bob, was first rate. Al Edge corrected the mistakes of the first "expert" on the lock and I now have what may be my favorite original shooter. I have never seen a Pedersoli up close, but from the pictures I've seen, they look pretty good. One thing they did though, is use the same
frizzen profile as on their Charleville. The reason I know is because I took a chance and bought an 1816 Pedersoli frizzen from Dixie, hoping it would fit my lock. Dumb move. I took a deer with the musket last year and hope to do so again soon.

These are not the best photos, but it is all I have for the time being.

Upon gazing at the pics--I dont have the gun with me--I fear that the barrel may have been circumcised. I found .69 minies in the dirt bank behind the barn years ago, and now I know where they came from. Anyway, this is it in its glory, and it also gives you an idea of the finish of the wood and aging.

Bill

Bountyhunter, though shortened that is a beauty! It is not a M1816, it is a M1840 musket, the last standard flint smoothbore musket made for US armed forces and the short lived successor to the M1816 we've been talking about. It was followed by the first standard percussion arm, the M1842, which was almnost identicle to this one, except of course for the lock. Oddly, though made as a flint gun, almost none were issued that way. The majority were converted to percussion before issue and yours appears to be one of those. I am envious, they are hard to find, most having been used up during the early years of the ACW so the rate of survival in any condition is low.

Back