• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Pan flash

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Black Powder

32 Cal.
Reaction score
First let me say hello, I am new to the forum. About ten years ago I had a mild strike that left me blind in my right eye, and I shoot right handed. Want to start shooting again, but it will have to be left handed. Can anyone tell me if the flash will be problem, my rifles are right handed. Thanks Black Powder

we all argued for a couple weeks, quite a few years ago on the mlml forum about how the powder against the flash hole or away from the flash hole would be the fastest.. some would tap the gun so the powder would fall away from the flash hole before fireing and on and on.. finally the adminitrator at that time, Bob Spencer, said he had a side by side flintlock and shooting two shots at doubles he never noticed the difference from either side, pretty much ending the whole argument.. your flash on one side or the other can be pretty much summed up the same way.. somewhere out there there are some side by side shooters shooting with the flash on one side then on the other just seconds apart.. so if you are able to get over the flash problem on one side im pretty sure the other side shouldnt be any problem either.. dave..

Don't worry just watch the front sight and you won't see the flash. In fact if you have a flash in the pan and are watching the front sight you may have to check the pan to see if it did flash.
Fox :thumbsup:

Don't let that discourage you. I have a friend with the same exact problem. He's right handed, but blind in his right eye. So, he shoots left handed and can bury the best of us with his accuracy. As a righty myself, he does have a few left hand flinters that he's had made that I have had the privelage to shoot. Like has been previously said, keep your eye on that front site and let the gun do the rest. You shouldn't notice much difference, but make sure you wear some glasses! :thumbsup:

Because of poor right eye vision, about a year go I switched to shooting left handed with no problem - never notice the pan flah at all.

Oh, is there a flash ? :hmm: I shoot my sons LH flintlock & never had a problem.

The flash will only be a problem if you let it be a problem. However, some people just have to make a issue out of it & for no reason. I mean it is powder going to burn in an open pan & it will flash when it does so, so what. Forget about it & concentrate on the sights & the bull....... :thumbsup:

ALWAYS, and I mean ALWAYS wear a pair of safety glasses when shooting a flintlock, regardless of RH or LH.

Back