• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

I Should've Listened . . .

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
CrackStock said:
In your defense, what if you didn't like shooting flintlocks? (don't laugh, it could have went that route)

MusketMan,

We rarely disagree, but I have to jump in here and point out that going with a cheap flinter is just a way to insure that you won't like them. You might get by with a cheap cap lock, but never a cheap flinter.

This is also true, if the lock's geometry is wrong to begin with and the novis flint shooter doesn't realize it, he/she could misinterpret it as something they are doing wrong and give up on notion of shooting rocklocks forever...

I think the key is that if a beginner decides to go with a cheap factory rifle, then they need to realize the problems are related to poor craftmanship as opposed to the Flintlock System. I knew that by going with a Traditions, I would have to do some work to it, so I knew it wasn't just a flintlock problem. I ended up having to bend the cock so the flint would hit the frizzen at the proper angle. This is just onething that I had to do to get the durn thing to spark properly. In the end I replace the frizzen with a properly hardened frizzen, thined the frizzen spring a little, polished the frizzen spring, adjusted the sear, bent the cock forward 7 degrees, and I even ended up taking the lock almost completely apart and put it back together again. It was alot of work that I would not have been able to accomplish without PV's help, but I am so glad because now I really have a greater understanding for the flintlock.

My mission now is to get my hunting buddies hooked on flintlocks, and I believe it will take a really good quality flintlock to do that. I don't think they'll be impressed with my Traditions, but if I can show them a quality flinter that sparks without fail, then I think I stand a chance.

My mission now is to get my hunting buddies hooked on flintlocks, and I believe it will take a really good quality flintlock to do that.
Looks like you're "well armed" for the cause. That's one beautiful rifle.

Paco,
that's a nice rifle. You'll also like the balance of a swamped barrel over that of a straight octagon. I wouldn' lose much sleep over the traditions. Probably more of us than would care to admit started with a traditions, T/C, CVA, ect. You'll have to let us know how it shoots.

Just got notification from TOW they shipped my rifle, should be here by Tuesday. I can't wait!

I agree, musketman.

Even though I have my traditions pa finely tuned, and i love it to death, it still leaves much to be desired in the way of a custom rifle. So i believe that is my next step. But I'm still glad I got the Pa FIRST.

Well, my new baby arrived today, and all I can say is, "Oh My God!" What a sweet rifle, and boy is it tuned! The barrel is 3.5" longer than my Traditions PA Rife, but this thing is so much lighter. The swamped barrel really makes a huge difference. It feels light and balanced, and very easy to pull up and aim with little effort. I definitely made the right decision! The maple has better curl than the pics showed. Words cannot describe to you how I'm feeling about this rifle. It will definitely be a rifle that i will want to keep for a long, long, long time! I can't wait to get out and shoot it. I flashed the pan over and over and each time the flint hit there were sparks and the frizzen is knapping the flint each strike! What quality! You can't even compare this to a factory rifle!

Well, since you are that disappointed with it i guess you should just send it to me. :rotf: Congrats on the new Toy.

Ha I am looking for a flinter could I get the web address please. tia Nimrod

Nimrod said:
Ha I am looking for a flinter could I get the web address please. tia Nimrod

If you don't want a long wait, I highly recommend TOTW. U get a 10 day inspection period, plus you get a nice wooden crate. You are a little limited in selection, Isettled for a 54 instead of 50, but was able to find the other features i wanted. You get the quality of a custom w/o waiting a year for it.

Paco nice rifle when you going to shoot it and let us know how it does?

Nimrod

Back