• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Teaching young folks about muzzle loaders

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlemaster

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I had the opportunity to teach about 20 kids about muzzle loaders yesterday. What a great experience. The ages ranged from about 11 to about 16.
I was able to let them shoot my flintlock 20 gauge trade gun. Some knew a little about percussion guns but none had ever fired a flintlock. We were able to talk a lot about muzzle loaders and some of the history of Southern Ohio in the 18th century and early 19th century.
I'm sure I made several converts to muzzle loading judging from some of the conversations I had with parents afterward.
My thanks the Camp OYO, Simon Kenton Concil of the Boy Scouts of America.

Regards, Dave

Good job, Dave.

We are trying to get a 'vous going at the local BSA Council Camp.

~Riley

I have helped out at a couple of youth shoots and it is always fun to watch the expression when a kid takes that first shot with a muzzleloader... :thumbsup:

Musketman
Yes they do. Some of the kids did some of their shooting for points with .22 rifles right after my demonstration.
It was so great to see the look of wonderment in their faces after they got to shoot a flintlock for the first time.

Regards, Dave

Yep, they can earn shotgun shooting merit badge with either centerfire or muzzleloading shotgun. Rifle shooting can be earned with air rifle, .22, or muzzleloader.

They also have a hunting merit badge they are trying out right now (I think in MI).

~Riley

Had my 11 year old grandson out to the range Wednesday. We started with 22's, then progressed to the .50 cal with 40 gr. light load at 25 yards. First shot on the paper, with eyes as big as saucers, and all he could say was Wow, with a big grin. The next nine rounds were in the 9 and 10 ring, with a still bigger grin. He's hooked don't even need bait on the hook anymore :rotf: He loved the smell, the flash, and the whole deal of loadin yer own. The last five rounds he loaded himself with of course grampa's help. I think our next visit to the range won't have any 22's in the mix. He's got his eye on the little .32 I'm puttin together. Another young one secumbs to the M/L malaise. Bill

ONYA Guys!
My young bloke (15yo) is keen to have a shot of BP, has shot well at our club as a junior the last few years in Metallic Silhouette & Field Rifle but I'm struggling to get him out of bed on a Sunday mornin' now. Girls seem more interesting than guns it seems.
Smokey. :winking:

Smokey, he will come back to it in time. My stepdad got me interested in bp when I was young. It was interrupted for girls, motorcycles,and all the side roads of becoming an adult. But the old memories of childhood came back to me and I couldn't wait to start shooting again. He'll be back.

Back