• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Home-made matchlock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richard Hare.

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Being as I'm the new kid on the block, and all excited about finding other folks/misfits(?!) interested in playing with these ancient things, Would it be permissable for me to post a few pictures of my effort?
It isn't as historically accurate as mr Magnus' pieces, as I only had pictures in books to go off, but I did enjoy every minute of making it!!
It was such a lot of fun, as I didn't feel constrained to a certain 'school' like when building a long-rifle.
So, is it OK to add pictures?

Thank you,
Richard.

Pukka Bundook said:
Being as I'm the new kid on the block, and all excited about finding other folks/misfits(?!) interested in playing with these ancient things, Would it be permissable for me to post a few pictures of my effort?
It isn't as historically accurate as mr Magnus' pieces, as I only had pictures in books to go off, but I did enjoy every minute of making it!!
It was such a lot of fun, as I didn't feel constrained to a certain 'school' like when building a long-rifle.
So, is it OK to add pictures?

Thank you,
Richard.
I don't know what the other 5000+ members think about it , but I say yes let's see some pictures. I'm sure if you post them they will be appreciated (otherwise the moderators will let you know :rotf: )
Soggy

Well, here's the pictures...like I said somewhere else, I had the 20 bore fowler barrel already, so it got pressed into service. I'd wanted to try doing some brass wire inlay for some time and also the little critters and other things made of bone, shell and ivory.
You can't put this sort of stuff on a long-rifle or anything too modern, but you can put it on a matchlock or wheel-lock so that's why I wanted to have a bash at making one.
Always been interested in how a matchlock would shoot so figured I'd make one to find out!

Lines are a bit fuzzy on some of the pics

DSCN0409.jpg

DSCN0413.jpg

DSCN0412.jpg

Didn't have a lathe so turned up a muzzle in the electric drill and soldered it over the end of the barrel.

DSCN0415.jpg

Saw something similar to this (with the vase of flowers) on a German matchlock target rifle from late 16th century.

DSCN0416.jpg

Mi fire breathin' dragon

DSCN0414.jpg

Sort of copied the funny little falling over houses from a German wheel-lock pistol. The little animals and fruit and nuts and such like are made from old bones, some of them buffalo bones out the muskeg. Some are made from clam shells from the river, some are antler.

Matchlock_Dog.jpg

Huntynge Dogge!

Matchlock3.jpg

Matchlock.jpg

Matchlock_rabbit.jpg

Copied this from a German pistol as well. (Pistol dated 1590-odd, I think)

Lots of matchlocks appear to be something of a paradox, you get parts finished very well and other bits lumped out by the blacksmith, that's why I left the trigger-guard and tricker rough.
I find rough easy to do! Did enjoy every minute of making this though, it was lots of fun!

Pukka

The brass wire did actually go in in smooth lines! Didn't beat it in with a club like it looks in the pics!

Pictures posted by the smart kid!!!

Can anyone tell us why the pictures came out with dislocated lines??

Wow! and I do mean WOW!! You have nothing to apologise for at all. That's really nice work. Wish I had half your talent! Keep up the good work!!

Thank goodness for that, I was worried it was going to be some ghastly plank shaped object and I would have to say nice things about it :rotf:

Instead it looks like an escapee from Her Majesty's collection :shocked2:

Not your first attempt at carpentry I suspect :thumbsup:

:shocked2: HOLY SMOKES where have you been hiding? That's some beautiful work!!!
.... :hmm: Excuse me while I go to the basement and put my rifles in the furnace.
Soggy

I've seen this gonne afore on another forum. I wanted dearly to link to it. But, being the stickler for rules that I am, did not. The rabbit and hound remind me of an old 16th century German woodcut about witches and their familiars. Greatly executed craftsmanship! Please feel free to post photos of any and all your handicraft!

grin.gif

CP

Squire Robin said:
Thank goodness for that, I was worried it was going to be some ghastly plank shaped object and I would have to say nice things about it :rotf:

Now, now, Robin, not everyone has the talent or the tools to craft such a Royal Quality piece. Let's not discourage those who have created their own pieces from sharing. Often, we can be our own worst critics. I encourage all to share their creations, no matter how homely or comely they be.

Squire Robin said:
Instead it looks like an escapee from Her Majesty's collection :shocked2:

Not your first attempt at carpentry I suspect :thumbsup:

Psst, has anyone checked with interpol about this piece??? :rotf: Just joshing you, Pukka! :haha:

Your work rivals Dale Shin's. The Title of this thread should be Hand Crafted, not home made.

cp.gif

Well I'm pleased you like him! ...and thank you for all your kind words.
I'm awfully sorry that the pics are bad, but think I have it figured out. Think they were saved in Photo-bucket one size too large, as they're nice & clear there, but lost it when shrunk somewhat for this forum.
If time permits sometime, I'll maybe delete these & re-post, But it's Sarah's Graduation this weekend...

Claypipe,
Yes, I figured we'd met somewhere before!!
One of the hardest things making this, was learning to draw the animals in a 16th century manner.
The lines they used are so simple, yet so full of life... it was a real challenge!!
nothing looks worse, to my eyes, than modern-looking artwork on an old-fashioned gun!

I built a "Jaeger" a bit ago, and had to learn to draw deer with camel faces!!!.........a proper deer head would have looked all wrong!

Squire Robin,
No, it's not mi first attempt at woodwork, only first matchlock.
Been piddling about making guns since I was 12 or 13, & I'm 52 now!
my first efforts were floor-board stocks, pipe barrels, and hoarded gunpowder from fireworks!
So as an encouragement to prospective builders I'd say do what I do! Enjoy it & don't take it at all seriously!!
I have a pal in Tenessee,that makes my work look like pig-swill...But I still enjoy playing!
As long as we're learning and improving a bit, that's all that counts!

Someone mentioned Dale shin's work?
does he have pics somwhere? would like to see them!

PB.

ps,
we got a mulie -buck between us a couple of yrs ago,...the hunt lasted 18" of matchcord...

So you just built it from stuff you had around, WOW you need to come to my house :bow:

Hi MadBrad,
Most of the bits come from the scrap-pile, and the wood was salvaged by a trucker friend, when he was down in States somewhere,
Big old plank laying in a truck yard, as blocking, asked if he could have it and was told "sure!"
It's hard maple, stained with nitric, and finish'd with linseed.
Have enough of plank left to make a longrifle!

I don't usually check this topic, but I am happy I did -- your matchlock is fantastic! Great job! :applause:

Puka,
Thanks, slobber, drool! Must make lock that burns match cord for the redhairedgal! Pant, wheeze! Must dip burning match into pan! Must have fire all over firelock, snicker, snort!
God bless.
volatpluvia

Well I have to chime in with a WOW too. At first I thought you were pulling our leg and you were going to confess that it came from a museum (a museum with good taste and lots of money), but no, you actually did all that period-correct artwork. Danged nice job.

And no lathe?! I read somewhere that the measure of a craftsman is not how many tools he has, but how many he can improvise or do without.

I hope you signed and dated it.

Back