• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

.40 Bucks range results.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Well waddyaknow. I had a couple hours to spare this evening and just refused to do anything, especially MORE WORK around the house so.........I got the Bucks .40 birddog6 built and gave it a whirl.
Birddog6! hats of to you sir!
The very first shot refused to fire. Some dummy fergetted to put powder in tha thing. They just won't work without powder! :redface: :redface:
Well, o.k., I gathered me wits about me and settled down. Remember the last post? The very 1st time I shot the thing and had so many flashes, no booms, and no flashes at all?
Well when all else fail tighten the NUT behind the butt plate. :curse:
The danged flint wasn't making proper contact with the frizzen. I remounted the flint, loaded, with powder this time and ...............kabooooom. Not click, boom, but boom RIGHT NOW.
If there is any difference between the ignition time of this flinter and a cap gun I can't tell. It's THAT fast!
Test #1: 25 grains Swiss 3fg, Hornady .395, .018 ticking lubed with...what else, Stumpy's Lube.
Average velocity according to Mr. Oehler was 1397 for five shots, distance 50 yards, group size was 1.75"
Test #2:
I upped the charge to 35 grains of Swiss 3fg, average velocity for six shots was 1731 fps and the group at 50 yards was a very satisfying 1 and 1/8th" c. to c.
I don't know if that is considered a good group or not, but I'd think that a for a novice flint shooter 1 1/8" at 50 yards for six shots just ain't too shabby.
Birddog I am IMPRESSED with the extremely FAST ignition.
I'll bet the accuracy will get even better as I learn the weapon.
Remember guys I'm pretty new to flintlocks.
Not one misfire and great accuracy.
She shoots a bit low at 50. i'm NOT fooling iwth the sights until I settle on the best load for her, then I'll tinker with getting her to shoot spot on at 30 yards as this is going to be my squirrel rifle.
Thanks again birddog for a truely fine rifle.
By the way. i bought some lehigh lube 'cause you like it. I'll try some next range session.
:: :: :: ::
GREAT RIFLE!

Maxiball, if you don't put that pesky POWDER in, ya can shoot all day, and not have to clean it when yer finished. :: :: Seriously though, it sounds like 'Ol Birddog built ya a right nice gun there. 1 1/8" groups are nothing to complain about, especially for someone new with flinters. Even with a caplock that ain't bad shootin'. Congrats. Glad ya like the rifle. Sounds like a keeper fer sure.

Maxi: Is it not simply amazing how much faster thay are with powder in them ? ha ha ! ::

I am glad you are pleased with it & yes, that rifle has a very fast lock & almost instant ignition. Most likely you will never pull another single trigger quite like that one either, as I put a extensive amount of time into it.

But the main thing is, regardless of how it looks, you are having a good time & enjoying it & THAT is what it is all about.

Should be interesting to see how the Lehigh works with it & groups compare to the other lubes.

Custom Muzzleloaders & Custom Skinning Knives

FiguredDesertIronwood.jpg
[/img]

birddog6: Now did you have to post the picture of that beautiful knife? I'm gonna go broke if you keep that up!
Taht last one I put away for my youngest boy along with the documentation you sent me.
And YES the trigger on that Bucks is awesome!

Ah, poo.

My reeding comprenshun aren't so gud sumtymes.

(Confidentially, Lehigh Lube is my favorite liquid lube & bore protector for long storage - going on 5 weeks in my outdoor rust test & still OK).

Perhaps I should buy a bottle from track? The long-term lube I'm using now seems to work failry well, no rust, but then I live in fairly dry country - have for many years and WD40-left guns don't rust in the cabinet. I suppose in other local's that wouldn't be the case.

Maxiball: Too late for that one, it just went to a friend in Newark, OH. I couldn't remember if I showed it to you or not.

I was just informed by the moderator that I am not supposed to post photos of my hobby or my web site url on here so I won't be posting them anymore. I don't want to ruffle any feathers or cause a problem.

birddog: yes the moderator informed me of that rule also. The is always the "Free Classified" section. I hope your site is there.
I want some of that lube you have developed too! I'll test it and won't charge you a penney! :haha:
Musketman might have your site in his links forum also.

To All: One of the Moderators was Right & I was Wrong, simple as that. :redface:

Actually I screwed up & couldn't fix it. The photo I put there was supposed to be of the lock on maxi's Bucks but I accidently put the wrong one there & didn't preview it before I posted it. I found this out this morning when I went to the thread & tried to change it this morning & it said something about the time has expired or something like that. Someone commented on the knife & what I should have done was stated that it was the wrong image right then & there & not appropriate for the thread.....

Anyway, I screwed up again !! ARGH !! dang it, that is twice this year.... :redface: :redface:

I do apologize to ALL if I stepped on anyones toes &/or stepped over the rules.

Birddog6 :redface:

still it's a dandy knife. Actually the one I bought from you which is very similar is prettier to my eye. Maybe 'cause it's my knife! :haha:
Anawho I think it's be just fine if you posted pics of that bucks you built for me.
Least I think it would be. I'd post my own pics if'n I had time to read the easy users guide for my new digital camera, 'cept the guide is 172 pages long! :curse:

Maxi: If ya just hot glue a black English flint to the shutter button, it will work much better !! ha ha ! ::

Lordy the .40 My favorite all around rifle in flint and cap next to the .38 cal. For target and small game and deer the forty has been good for me and alot of pals . Won matchs filled the small game bag and killed dozens of deer deader than 4:eek:o am on sunday morn.!!! One sweet shooter the forty!!!!!!

Back