• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

.50 Ruger Old Army

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old Ironsights

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Has anyone looked at Dave Clement's .50 ROA conversion? How cool would it be to use .490 ball in both a revolver and sidelock? :hmm:

To use a .490" ball in the pistol you would need a barrel that has about a .485" groove diameter and a cylinder to match. Most 50 caliber barrels have a groove of .510" for modern and maybe .520" for muzzle loading. It would be a great idea but the parts wuold need to be built to fit the ball size.

Old Ironsights said:
Has anyone looked at Dave Clement's .50 ROA conversion? How cool would it be to use .490 ball in both a revolver and sidelock? :hmm:

I looked at it, but sadly I had to pass it by. It was a money thing....I just didn't have the couple of 'thou needed. :(

tac

http://www.gunblast.com/Cumpston_ClementsFugett.htm
Write-up above

fiveshooter4.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, I read the artical and I'am impressed. Just might pull that stainless ROA out and start building one.

I allready got the SS Ruger in trade for some work. It looks almost new. I have a piece of 416 Stainless for the barrel but I need to find a piece big enough for the cylinder.
I had a walker once and didn't like it, the rammer fell down every time I shot it.

IMO if I go all out and do such a thing, I'm going to make sure I use the 5" seater rather than the 7" model. I really like how the 5" guns "capture" the loading ram when removing the cylinder. (and I hate how the bloody thing falls apart on my 7"...)

Actually .495 ball for sufficiant "Pull", two reasons, one for best combustion, second to prevent inertial creep as these guns do recoil a bit.

Local black powder smith and barrel maker does these on Remingtons and Rogers&Spencer revolvers, indeed, is making a THREE AND ONE-HALF inch .50 on a stainless Pietta/Remington (Better steel metallurgy) cylinder is 17-4PH, barrel 416R. Everybody else got a short barrel Remmie, i got one in FIFTY caliber!

NOW for those wantin a REAL big bore gun, he also does a SOLID FRAME conversion to Walker and Dragoon replicas, in FIFTY-EIGHT caliber!! Yup! Thats right! .585 groove in that barrel!

Bullet pull no problem with correct loading technique and the ballistics are...WOW! The loading he showed me in testing at shop over chronograph pushed a 440 grain bullet at 1,200fps, sorta like carryin a five shot slug gun on your hip. (And yup, expect mine in mid August!) :)

And cause he will NOT copy another mans work, my family collectively has THREE of the Clements conversions on order, each with an extra cylinder. And yup, coulda had a SUPER vacation in Tahiti on that money!

That will almost double the number of Clements 50s in existence.

MEC!

Its a tough job but SOMEONE has ta do it! The last one ordered is for Cowboy Action Shooting, so adjustable sights are out!

Gonna look GOOD in that Bob Mernickle leather!

Back