• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Make over...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikee51848

54 Cal.
Reaction score
Ok, how would you make this guy be able to comply with PA orange requirements of 250 sq inches on head, chest and back, and still maintain authenticity with the late 1700's?

Soldier1.jpg

Put a blaze orange vest on him, over that outfit, and also put a blaze orange hat over over that hat. Looks like a shower cap, and you can find them in blaze orange.

Please don't skimp on the blaze orange. I would be very sad for all of use to attend your gravesite, to see on a tombstone, " He died trying to be a 18th century guy, in a 21st century world. He was too stupid to wear blaze orange, and someone mistook his white shirt for the back end of a white tail deer, and shot him by mistake!"

Yep, ya just gotsta do it. Ain't worth gettin shot over.

That bein sed...I bought some almost blaze orange canvas and gave it to my daughter to have her make me a frock. Now she wants me to buy her a sewin machine (costs moren a frock). I thought the pack of needles I sent her would've been plenty to do the job.

~Riley

Hey Wildatheart,

I've posted this in the past but this is the best solution I've found!

OranCapeside0121.jpg

Capebr0118.jpg

I don't think any blaze orange is going to be perfectly PC but this works for my tastes. Plus it's warm and helps keep the weather off of you.

Chuck :thumbsup:

WildatHeart said:
Ok, how would you make this guy be able to comply with PA orange requirements of 250 sq inches on head, chest and back, and still maintain authenticity with the late 1700's?

Soldier1.jpg

Hunter's orange beadwork perhaps? :hmm:

Hunter's orange Voyager Caps are sold here...[url] http://stitchersm.tripod.com/hats.htm[/url]

Shame you can't have an old tricorn refinished with hunter's orange felt, or can you? :winking: :grin:

Last edited by a moderator:
I hat those minimun laws for orange...oh I hate orange...Red's much better and deer don't see it..it blends....this guy needs to lose the white though

Actually, deer can see color, and have the receptors in their retina. They don't have as many as the human eye does, and don't see color in the same level of light that we do. We can see color in poorer light. Actually Red is not better, and the reason we use Blaze Orange is there is a large percentage of the population who are color blind to the color " Red ". Blaze orange can be seen even by these people. The purpose of those hated regulations is to save your life.

Many years ago, Arkansas did an experiment with volunteer hunters. Half the group wore traditional camo clothing. The other half work camo/blaze orange. The success rate for both groups of turkey hunters was the same. Similar studies have been done with deer hunters. There is no showing that blaze orange spooks deer, or that they can see it better than other colors, or react to it. What deer react to is movement, and odors. In farm areas, they don't even react to odors, as they are used to the smell of people and don't associate it with danger.

Please wear blaze orange. If you are an archer during those seasons, and are permitted to wear camo the entire time, please take along a blaze orange bandana, or hat, or voyageurs's wool cap, or something that you can either wear, or rap around that deer carcass you are dragging out of the woods. The life you save will be your own.

I have been shot at during deer season, when I was wearing a lot of blaze orange. The criminal assault occurred from across a river, and the man was shooting at me with a high powered rifle. I suspect he was drunk, and was trying to see if he could hit me at that range. I fired a couple of shotgun slugs back at him, and he ran off. I went home in one piece. I don't want to ever be a target for a criminal again, and I certainly don't want to be accidental target for some jerk shooting at movement. Blaze orange works, and save lives. The data is unquestionable in this regard.

As for spooking game, I had a young buck come up to me when I was dressed in a blaze orange insulated coverall and blaze orang voyageurs hat, and only stopped when he got within 6 feet of me. I also have had squirrels run over my shoes when I was stretched out on a deadfall tree trying to get my back to quit aching, while dressed in blaze orange. Again, movement will spook game, and cause small animals to make alert calls. Learn to sit still and you will see much more game, and get your fair share of close shots.

For what it's worth,

I don't hunt at all anymore. It's all about bozos shooting at what ever moves. I spent 27 years in Uncle Sam's Army, don't want to be involved in sombody else's firefight

I went from HP to shotgun to black powder in VA, it's just not worth the risk anymore!

I was going to add more, but self edited.

Bill

Latest posts

Back