• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Red Eye Gravy recipe

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sugar or salt cured country ham.
Slice and slightly brown in a cast iron skillet.
Pour black coffee into skillet to cover ham.
Stir to get the fond off the bottom of the skillet
Slow simmer for 10-15 till ham is tender.

If the gravy is to salty for you, next time soak your ham over night in frig with enough water to cover.

great, now I'm hungry....

THANKS!That is the way Momma made the gravy many moons ago-just been 30 years ago and I forgot how easy! :applause: !

With some biscuits and stone ground grits... oh man.

I live in Maryland and can't find grits, much less red-eye gravy. I SC any meat and three would have it.... only 15 more months and I can move back home.

Ain't nuth'n like a mess of Cats head Bisquits and Yellow Hominy Grits smuth'd 'n gravy! :winking:

Slowpoke said:
Sugar or salt cured country ham.
Slice and slightly brown in a cast iron skillet.
Pour black coffee into skillet to cover ham.
Stir to get the fond off the bottom of the skillet
Slow simmer for 10-15 till ham is tender.

If the gravy is to salty for you, next time soak your ham over night in frig with enough water to cover.

great, now I'm hungry....

Do you thicken with flour, or corn starch?

I eat them all the time in MD. Get them at Giant in the Quaker Oats section.

Found out my daughter in law makes them too and she's a PA girl.

I have never seen thickened redeye gravy. Its supposed to be thin cause that makes it easier to mix it with the grits.

You can also use the drippings from a baked ham and thin them with coffee. Heat and stir the mixture until the thick drippings are disolved.

I have heard some folks way up north above Atlanta, use Coca-Cola instead of coffee, but I ain't never et no sweet redeye gravy so I caint tell you if that would work.

Richard/Ga.

You don't thicken it with anything. If you want to reduce it a little you can bring it to a boil but I wouldn't.
They built a Food Lion near my house so I can get stone ground grits and Dukes Mayonnaise now.

reddogge said:
I eat them all the time in MD. Get them at Giant in the Quaker Oats section.
quote]

I've never seen anything but instant or "quick" grits ....shutter.... Don't make me drive over to Carroll County and bring you some House Autry stone ground grits. :rotf:

the story behind redeye gravy was supposed to be a poor 49er that was cooking aham slice and caught it on fire. Rather than let it go to waste he extinguished it with a cup of coffee.

As a kid we called the thin red eye gravy soppings. Have no idea why, we just sopped it up with our biscuits. :grin:

If'n you want some authentic, stone-ground grits, check out Nora mill in North Georgia. Most all of their products are really good.
[url] http://www.noramill.com/[/url]

Rainman/GA

Last edited by a moderator:
Civilization creeps northward!!! A buddy of mine is in the securty operation at the local airport and he tells me that one thing he sees a great deal of, in carry on luggage, are small jars of Duke's Mayo...folks say they're carrying it in case whereever they're going doesn't have any...that's customer loyalty...I know a good cook who puts some Duke's in her cornbread recipe..Hank

hank said:
Duke's Mayo...
Is there any other kind? Take some fresh bread, fresh sliced ripe tomatoes, and a little black pepper and salt, and you have yourself one fine sandwich!
Bimbo

I am working on a small cookbook for the ladies in our blackpowder club. Do you mind if I include your recipe along with my chocolate gravy and tomato gravy from my mom amd grandmother?
Slash

Could you get us the recipe for tomato gravy. I remember my grandma used to make it back when she lived in Springfield, TN.

Back