• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Vent liner

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

My Lyman vent liner keeps getting stuck.I used anti seize but it doesnt work.I ruined it trying to get it out and stripped the slot.I did get it out eventualy.Now I gotta wait to shoot again till the new liner gets here.How do I keep it from getting stuck?

Why are you taking it in and out? Most of us thought that it had to be removed to clean the gun, but that is not the case. You should leave it in until you wear it out, then replace it.

Mule Skinner said:
Why are you taking it in and out? Most of us thought that it had to be removed to clean the gun, but that is not the case. You should leave it in until you wear it out, then replace it.
I take everything apart when I clean my gun.

Well, I understand your burning desire to do that , but believe me you can clean it very well without taking the vene liner out. However if you have to, get some gorilla grease (I think that is what it is called) and have at it.

CROWHOP said:
My Lyman vent liner keeps getting stuck.I used anti seize but it doesnt work.I ruined it trying to get it out and stripped the slot.I did get it out eventualy.Now I gotta wait to shoot again till the new liner gets here.How do I keep it from getting stuck?

I remove mine every time I clean the rifle...I pump flush through the vent several times first, then remove it, pump flush some more through the vent seat in the breech plug;

When I'm completely done with the barrel, I dip a q-tip into a tube of natural lube 1000 and run in down into the vent seat to coat those threads, and I coat the threads on the liner itself, then I screw it back in just firmly finger snug on both TC and GM barrels...never had one difficult to get out.

Roundball, you are using hooked breech barrels. What about you guys out there with pinned barrels?

Crowhop - This is just a thought but you could put that liner in by cutting another slot at 90 degrees to the old one with a fine file or safe sided hacksaw blade. If you stripped the face of it to much to do that you could press a short section of tapered allen wrench into the flash hole to swage an allen socket. Then use an allen wrench to reinstall. The socket would be just a little bit larger than your old flash hole. I agree with the rest that once you have your liner in you should leave it there. You would never want to accidently bugger the threads and have the potential of your liner flying out. Thats a very low probability event but it would get pretty exciting for the person to your right... GC

Mule Skinner said:
Roundball, you are using hooked breech barrels. What about you guys out there with pinned barrels?
I've already figured if I was using pinned barrels, I'd be using a flush kit, same end results...I just like to keep everything squeaky clean & lubed...
:thumbsup:

I realize this is a flintlock thread..but I use a anti sieze compound for my nipple when I clean my rifle. I don't see why it wouldn't work for a liner. When I take the nipple out, before I reinstall it I coat the nipple threads with the compound and never had a problem. The stuff is cheap..get it at your local hardware store..comes in a tube. One word of caution...if your not careful or use too much the stuff will get all over..almost like a liquid graphite..won't hurt anything..but it does make a mess. I use the end of a pipe cleaner to apply it. Just squeeze a small amount out of the tube and sort of paint the threads on the nipple with it. Make sure it gets into the grooves of the threads. It might be, you used a different brand than I do. Mine comes in a gray tube and the product is gray in color.

Present company excepted, but many get too western and overtighten the liner. There is tight, then there is Too bloody tight.

I've always used "The Stick" from Cabelas. It's a nickel snti sieze. Never had a problem.

Is the liner tight during the whole removal process - start to finish. Or just part of the time?

If it's tight the whole way, the hole could be slightly ovaled - no choice but to redrill and re tap.

If it is only tight part of the time, or gets tight - loose -tight -loose, then you may have a bad thread. Either chase with same size tap, or retap slightly larger.

Just an opinion....

Legion

I can think of two things.

1: If you are using antiseize out of a spray can, get some of the non-aerosol as it is thicker & does better for most applications me.

2: Swab some antiseize in the hole first, then also on the threads before ya put the liner in.Then run a pipe cleaner thru the vent hole to clean it. It is possible you are pushing the antiseize out while screwing in the liner if it is a really tight fit. I have never had mine stick in my GPR & it has about ? 5000 shots thru it. I just Barely snug the vent in...

I remove the liner if doing a thorough cleaning (range shooting, end of hunting season, prolonged time between shooting events). In order to remove it, the lock has to come off. I use a synthetic auto lube on the liner threads and haven't had a problem. On the other hand, I don't know if it's worth the effort to remove it. :hmm:

TANSTAAFL said:
Present company excepted, but many get too western and overtighten the liner. There is tight, then there is Too bloody tight.

I think this is where most of the ware comes from. Machine screws are ment to be removed from time to time and really, isn't that all a vent liner is, a machine screw with a hole in it. If you're careful when you remove it and keep the threads clean then not over tighten it when you put it back in you should have no problem what so ever. If, on the other hand, you force the liner in where the threads are dirty and over tighten it then you will ware out the threads and have problems. Personally, I think I'll only remove it every now and again for a good cleaning. When I'm just doing general shooting I'll use the "plug the barrel, fill with water and dump" method. But for a couple times a year I'll pull the went and do a really good cleaning. JMHO, YMMV.

I hate to be the only one to state the obvious, but there is no reason to remove the liner untill the flash hole is worn out, which may take years.
I would feel mighty nervous standing on the right side of anyone on the firing line that I knew routinly takes his liner in and out every time he cleans his rifle. Not a safe practice in my opinion. Others opinions will vary. :winking:

Mike Brooks said:
I hate to be the only one to state the obvious, but there is no reason to remove the liner untill the flash hole is worn out, which may take years.
I agree 100%........ :thumbsup:

I'm with y'all. I'm not convinced there is any reason to remove a liner except when replacing it when the flash hole becomes too large.

Richard/Ga.

Back