• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Tighten loose bayonet?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Okay, I suppose it may be a little goofy, but I just HAD to buy a bayonet to go with my Brown Bess. Unfortunately it doesn't fit very tightly, and I'm told that's the way it goes. I've apparently got a Japanese repro Bess. (Which I'm just loving, btw!)

Any tips to making a better fit for the bayonet? It's loose enough now that it jiggles from side to side, and probably up and down, and just plain isn't right.

Any suggestions at all would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Just be careful not to knock your bayonet lug off. It's pretty easy to do. How about a little bit of clear epoxy on the inside of the bayonet socket and then file it to fit.

You could attempt to sleeve the socket with sheet tin. Solder in the sleeve.
(Can't find a repro bess bayonet that is a better fit? When and if you do, sell off the other.)

I got a proper bayonet for my Jap Bess at Gedney Godwin's [url] http://www.gggodwin.com/[/url]

It is listed as the proper one, and it does fit with a tiny bit of looseness, but not so much as to be objectionable.

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought an Indian made bayonet for an Italian Bess, and had the same problem... but... as the Indian version was $35, as opposed to the "correct" one for around $100, the leather strip I glued inside the bayonet socket seemed pretty cheap - no more banging and rattling, and it still works great as a candleholder when I stick it in the ground. (BTW, I tried just using wax in the socket first, but 15-20 blanks fired, reenacting on a hot, sunny day... didn't work too well past the first 30 seconds - I had a loose bayonet lubricated by melted wax! :cursing: )

M

When I got my bayonet for my Bess and Charleville, both move and rattle. I asked some more experienced individuals who said that thats the way they were. You were trained how to stick someone and hold the musket/bayonet in such a way that when you pulled it back, the bayonet remained on the musket and not in your victim. Later on, way after the Revolution, they began to use some type of retaining clamp (in need of a better word) to secure the bayonet to the musket.
Have I been fed a line or is this correct?

Patriot

Thanks for the tips! I glued a bit of braintain inside the socket after testing several pieces, and it seems to be working perfectly. Slips on with little effort, stays in place without (apparently) stressing the lug, and handles a hay barrel with no problems at all. (That'lll teach that bundle of cellulose to mess with me!)

I doubt I'll use it much, but it's nice to know I can put it on without it jangling around like one of Santa's sleigh bells.

Thanks again!

You were trained how to stick someone and hold the musket/bayonet in such a way that when you pulled it back, the bayonet remained on the musket and not in your victim.

Your question is a little confusing. That's the point ( :haha: ) of having a bayonet. It wasn't a once and done weapon in a charge. Stick some lobsterback, move onto the next one! :blah:

Back