• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What GAUGE Smoothebore would you CHOOSE.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Of the choices given, I'd take the 28ga, as I shoot predominantly round ball. IF I shot a lot of shot, I'd probably choose the 20ga. As it stands though, I'm very happy with my 24ga :)

Hey Ouachita,

Have you tried round ball and patch out of your T/C shotgun? Was wondering what kind of a group you can get at 50 yards?

Hey Whitetaildg
No i haven't tried them yet. Had to order the .690 RB and i just got them. I'm gonna though.

Whitetaildg
Going to see what she will do tomorrow. The .690 RB still does not seem very tight with pillow ticking so i might have to go with the .715 but everyone here says the .690 should work.
Rebel is right about the choke tube notches being a pain but you can get the extended tubes that doesn't have them. I don't think the Winchester tubes has the notches and they will fit the T/C. I will keep you posted.
Billy

Rebel
Thanks, will do. It is great talking to people willing to share. Glad I found this forum.
Billy

Ouachita
I've even use animal hide deer moose what ever I had around.
:thumbsup:

For shooting round balls the smaller gauge is probably better. For hunting with shot the 10/11/12 guages beat the pants off the .20. I have an 11, 12, and 16 gauge.

Well I got it done today. Shooting at a 3" circle at 25 yds. Started with 75gr ffg, shot card, lubricated T/C felt wad, .690 RB and pillow ticking patch.
First shot 4" low, windage great. Increased powder to 80gr.
Second shot 2" to the left, elevation was good.
Took Rebels advice and changed to denim patch.
Next 3 shots was a cluster all touching in the bottom of the circle.
Still shooting 1.5" low but with just a front bead and after what I had experienced with the .678 RB I am very happy. All i got to do is hold a little high.
But tight, man i had to use the short starter to get it to go. I guess thats what it likes.

Thanks Rebel, you saved me price of some .715 RB.

Now i also patterned my turkey load at 30yds.
80gr ffg, 2 lubricated T/C felt wads, 110gr of shot from my measure, 1 felt wad.
Had at least 30 shot in the 3" circle with a good even pattern. No turkey will walk away from that so i stopped.

I used cylinder tube for RB.
I used Primos Tightwad .660 turkey tube for shot.

Latest posts

Back