• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

jag and patches stuck

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bradmartin

40 Cal.
Reaction score
My brother in law helped with the cleaning yesterday. He got the jag stuck. Then for reasons unknown to me he unscrewed the rod from the jag. I've tried to thread it back on with no luck. I also tried to use my worm to grap the patch. The only other thing I can think of is a co2 unloader. Any other ideas would br great. Thanks.

If a caplock remove the nipple and put in a pinch of powder in. Put the nipple back in, cap, and fire into a place that is safe from rickocets (sp?). Sand or sawdust piles work good. Sift through the pile to find your jag. No damage to the bore should occur as the patch and brass jag are softer than the steel barrel. Be sure to remove debris from jag before using again and also check the threads for damage.

When this happens to me I leave the rod attached and shoot (nearly) staight up in an open area. Have not bent, broken or lost a rod/jag this way. Note: BE CAREFUL doing this as the rod coming back down can put your eye out if you loose track of it and are looking up. I take no responsibility for injuries that may occur using this method!!

Need a good vise thats secured well and a big wrench. After removing the barrel from the stock pad the vise jaws and the jaws of the wrench with either brass or aluminum to stop from dinging up the barrel and tang.

Remove the barrel from your gun. Then, holding the barrel muzzle down, repeatedly bang the breech end against your brother in laws head until the vibrations loosen the stuck jag and it falls out. :rotf:

If that doesn't work, maybe an air compressor or work some powder thru the drum and shoot it out. Good Luck!

jethro224 said:
Remove the barrel from your gun. Then, holding the barrel muzzle down, repeatedly bang the breech end against your brother in laws head until the vibrations loosen the stuck jag and it falls out. :rotf:
:thumbsup:

I'd use the hitting method but my brother in law in bigger and stronger then I. I'll try to use the air compressor we have at the shop today. Thanks for the help.

jethro224 said:

Won't that make it tighter, banging the breach end? I'd think bang the BARREL end on his head and protect the crown with a piece ot thick leather or tire material. :rotf:

scarecrow said:
I'd use the hitting method but my brother in law in bigger and stronger then I. I'll try to use the air compressor we have at the shop today. Thanks for the help.

After the first bang won't matter how big he is and subsequent banging will be easier with prone comatose surface :winking:

But, seriously the pinch of powder method under the nipple works fine and can be done on the range or in the field in a pinch (pun intended).

Don't remove the breech if at all possible.
Try the CO2 or work some 4F (7F if you've got it) into the touchhole or nipple then shoot it out.

My brother is a cop. So I have to look at the long trem. Its on my flinter so I'll try the powder. He also has a hard head, I might bend it.

Wart said:
Don't remove the breech if at all possible.
Try the CO2 or work some 4F (7F if you've got it) into the touchhole or nipple then shoot it out.

Not sure about flinters but FFg (goex in my case) is fine in percussion. I'd estimate ca. 50-100 yds of ramrod peak trajectory from past experiences.

Have always wondered with a bit more powder how accurrate a broadhead on the end of the ramrod would be?

scarecrow said:
My brother is a cop. So I have to look at the long trem. Its on my flinter so I'll try the powder. He also has a hard head, I might bend it.

Yea in this case (flinter) some fine powder might be easier to work into the breech through the touch hole. I'm not experineced in flinters. Best of luck!

I've been using, for decades, a grease gun and adaptors made for the various flash-holes and nipples that won't use a standard grease fitting. The grease gun method is messy but NEVER harms the barrel.
You can always hit the bro-in-law with the grease gun if this fails! (Make him hold the gr-gun's snout to the fitting tightly, then attack!
Most folks ruin their bbl or breechplug trying to remove them or "pull a ball", then they sheepishly bring them to me??
I must confess to recently getting trapped into listening to a customer tell a long-winded story about his "son" (It's never the fellow who bring the gun in) lodging a ball and their breaking ramrods, etc. marring the breechplug and barrel before giving up.
Then I wasted valuable time using a grease gun, but NO Ball emerged w the grease! I thought the grease had eased by the ball?, though it didn't feel like it, and began to pull the breechplug. Fortunately I happenened to bump the breechplug with a steel rod cleaning out the grease. It rang like a bell, not the dull lead thud!! There was NO BALL in the bbl!!!! :rotf:
I guess I was in a hurry and didn't check to see if there really WAS a ball stuck! My 7,783,553rd mistake!!The owner even told of feeling his ball puller catch on something in there before he broke his rod!! :thumbsup:

Just to add a 2 cent's worth- before ya remove the Breech plug ya got'ta remove the bolster before ya turn breech plug^^^^On Per'cusion Rif****

Mad Professor said:
scarecrow said:

After the first bang won't matter how big he is and subsequent banging will be easier with prone comatose surface :winking:

But, seriously the pinch of powder method under the nipple works fine and can be done on the range or in the field in a pinch (pun intended).

Whilst yor at it use the air compressor to blow out some of the sand atwixt yor bros ears! :confused: Then run like hell! :rotf:

Davy

I had a tip pull lose and shot a load of about 10-20 gr FFG into two pair of old worn-out blue jeans folded over the back of a chair. The shot went into the legs,near the bottom where the fabric would give enough to stop the "projectile". The weight of the four layers of fabric stopped the jag/tip cold. The jag/tip did penetrate a coupla layers of fabric, but didn't go all the way through.

Don't do this in the house. This is best done in the basement, garage, workshop, or better yet, outside, with the jeans hung over the clothes line.
J.D.

scarecrow said:

Be VERY careful where that muzzle is pointed when you hit it with the air compressor...it'll come out like it was fired out!!

Latest posts

Back